Should Be Simple- Copy Tracks

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Just started learning LMMS a few days ago... some success... watched a few tutorials... still alot of questions on basic stuff...

This should be simple- how do I copy a track, specifically a bassline beats track? would love it if I could just hit a copy and past somewhere, but no.

First of all, I made a beat/ bassline (we'll call it Beat/ Bassline 1)- it has drums and bass. I want to copy it because I want another version of the exact same drum beat with no bass- the song is going to start with just the drums, a couple measures in, the bass comes in, pretty straight-forward.

I go into Song Editor, there's nowhere I can just click a copy and paste or drag... I think I did a copy and paste on the blue block and it set up a new Bassline, but didn't actually copy any notes. In that tool icon, you can "clone" a track. I did that, and it set up what I wanted, a copy of that track. Perfect. Now I'll I need to do is go into that track and just delete the bass track on one of them and I'm good. Why is it called "cloning" a track? Whatever it is, it seems to stay connected to the original track because when I deleted the bass track in one, it basically just disappeared from the other one! By "cloning" are these tracks supposed to stay identical? Why would someone want to do that?

Anyway, have you ever tried to do a Ctrl-Z or Edit- Undo? Doesn't work. So, when that bass track disappeared, it was gone. Yes, I should have saved. I had to reenter it in.

I mean I'm liking LMMS, like the sounds and the options, but just getting frustrated with stuff that would seem to be really simple.
brothermonk wrote:Whatever it is, it seems to stay connected to the original track because when I deleted the bass track in one, it basically just disappeared from the other one! By "cloning" are these tracks supposed to stay identical? Why would someone want to do that?
That doesn't happen for me... sure you didn't delete the wrong one by accident? What version of LMMS are you using?
brothermonk wrote: First of all, I made a beat/ bassline (we'll call it Beat/ Bassline 1)- it has drums and bass. I want to copy it because I want another version of the exact same drum beat with no bass- the song is going to start with just the drums, a couple measures in, the bass comes in, pretty straight-forward.
All you have to do here is clone it, by the sounds of things, you already know how to clone stuff.
brothermonk wrote:Whatever it is, it seems to stay connected to the original track because when I deleted the bass track in one, it basically just disappeared from the other one! By "cloning" are these tracks supposed to stay identical? Why would someone want to do that?
If you delete one of the drum samples, it will not exist any more in your .mmpz file so it won't be able to play it in any of the basslines. So you know those little green bubbles which you select to make the noise? :) on your cloned track in which you don't want the bass you'll have to de-select those little bubbles by clicking them. Yeah, not too good at explaining stuff on here, but if you want to have that bass in only one track don't delete it.
brothermonk wrote:Anyway, have you ever tried to do a Ctrl-Z or Edit- Undo? Doesn't work.
Yeah, what you quickly figure out with LMMS is to constantly save. Remember, Jesus Saves. I often click "save as" throughout my project editing and call it "project 1, project 2," etc that way I can go back to specific points in my tune/song.
Cheers Bro, and have fun.
Thanks.
I think I figured it out... basically, coming up with workarounds, just shifting my mentality- I tried to make tracks that had all the elements in them, now I realize I can "layer" things- play multiple tracks simultaneously and that's what Song Editor basically does.
So yeah, instead of copying the whole track and deleting the bass line in one- I'll just have that drum track going say 4 measures, first two measures on it's own, then another track with just the bass kicks in for the next two measures... that kind of thing.
Seems like it's just a matter of thinking things through from the start...
So, basically never figured out the answer to my original question except maybe LMMS doesn't have features I think it would intuitively have, but learn to work with what it does have. I am pretty much impressed by the sound quality.
For anyone else who stumbles across this, I was trying to figure out and after reading this I realized you could copy it by clicking on the 'step' part and then you can copy the 'notes' that you've made to a different track
jdws wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:33 pm
For anyone else who stumbles across this
Well, Yes but OOP was looking at Beat&Basslines B&B.
The whole thing is explained here
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Co ... ern_design
-Because it is really a question of how you like to design the B&Bs

Notes from piano-roll can be copied in many ways:
Copying selections.
* select all/ select some, and choose 'copy-selected' button in speedbar.
Notes will be copyable both to
* a new place in this piano-roll (move playhead to wanted insert posistion)
* a different piano-roll in this project
* a different piano-roll in a different project

Copying entire block of notes
This takes place in song-editor!
* rightclick a block and choose 'copy'. Open an empty block, rightclick and choose insert.

Copying all notes in a track
This takes place in song-editor!
Leftclick the cogwheel and choose 'clone-this-track' The clone can use a different instrument/ preset, just drag it in.

Besides that, since you are new here -Welcome to the forum jdws ! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480