[SOLVED] Ubuntu 12.04 - No sound

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
owallgren wrote:
owallgren wrote:I'm trying to install the proprietary graphics driver.
That was awesome! I think it really worked but the AMD routines are just... modest and therefore wouldn't dare show the desktop. I'm back where I belong...
Oh yeah. I'm an nvidia guy myself, but I hear the proprietary AMD GPU drivers are notoriously tricky. You have to have the exact match for your version of Xorg, I think. You can't have the GPU driver be newer than the Xorg version you're using, otherwise it won't work... that's what I've heard anyway.
diiz wrote:Ok, have you tried reconfiguring/reinstalling pulseaudio?
Yes. I just purged/reinstalled anything pulseaudio and made progress. I now have pavucontroll and will have sound from LMMS showing on the peakmeter so I'm almost there.
Hm. Did you try routing LMMS sound directly to ALSA? Does it make any difference?
diiz wrote:...I hear the proprietary AMD GPU drivers are notoriously tricky.
That's the impression I have of Nvidia. Especially the laptops with combined nvidia/intel integrated gpu that use Bumblebee.
I'm thinking of getting me a laptop from System76 but when it comes to machines I'm an allround sceptic. I always trust on things not to work.
Hm. Did you try routing LMMS sound directly to ALSA? Does it make any difference?
No difference. I'm off to purge the alsa stuff too now.
Purging/reinstalling all the pulse packages really did the trick. Somewhere during the troubleshooting i went over the cables and when I plugged the headset back it was in the wrong jack, sorry about that! :shock:
One big bowl of pasta later and I could think straight as an arrow!

Finally back to LMMS!

Thanks for the help!
I'm still going to do a fresh install and read up on separate /home and also various backup strategies.
Oh well, glad you got it working!
owallgren wrote:That's the impression I have of Nvidia. Especially the laptops with combined nvidia/intel integrated gpu that use Bumblebee.
I'm thinking of getting me a laptop from System76 but when it comes to machines I'm an allround sceptic. I always trust on things not to work.
Well, it depends... I don't have any laptops myself anymore (been meaning to get one) but IIRC there's been some advances in getting Bumblebee to work... at least I remember reading something to that effect. Anyway laptops notwithstanding, Nvidia has the best proprietary drivers on Linux, they're much better than the proprietary AMD drivers, while AMD conversely has much better open drivers than Nvidia. Some even say the AMD open drivers are now better than their proprietary ones, at least on some cards. And Intel has the best drivers period, but their GPUs are the worst...
sometimes on ubuntu or perhaps any DE that uses pulseaudio, things can get messed up , i find the easiest way is to remove the hidden folder ~/.pulse from you home folder and kill/restart pulseaudio with killall pulseaudio, which recreates ~/.pulse again , hopefully with the right soundcard settings this time