[SOLVED] Ubuntu 12.04 - No sound

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Yup, nada sound. It worked at install but some update might have broken the thing.
$ inxi -A
Audio: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
$ inxi -S
System: Host: ustudio Kernel: 3.2.0-58-lowlatency x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.8.3 Distro: Ubuntu 12.04 precise
Do you mean in LMMS, or all of your system?
All system.
Hi Owallgren,
I am puzzled as to why you are asking this question here. This isn't really a question about LMMS, it would be more productive asking this particular question on a Linux/Ubuntu forum surely? :?

Not using Linux I would nonetheless suggest reinstalling the latest audio drivers (presuming they do not have known issues in the Linux/Ubuntu community).

Also are you using an outboard DAC?
Check that the appropriate outputs are enabled.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/CheckForM ... akerVolume
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sound ... gProcedure
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1885240
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTl ... edit?pli=1#!
http://raywoodcockslatest.blogspot.co.u ... mware.html
popeye1234 wrote:Not using Linux I would nonetheless suggest reinstalling the latest audio drivers (presuming they do not have known issues in the Linux/Ubuntu community).
Audio drivers don't really work the same way under Linux as they do under windows. On Linux, you don't have to hunt for individual drivers on the internet and then install them, but instead all the audio drivers (like all other drivers) come preinstalled with the OS. The only drivers that you really have to install yourself on Linux are proprietary GPU drivers.

Owallgren, I'm not sure how exactly Ubuntu Studio does things. Does it use Pulseaudio at all? Can you see any audio-related updates in your update logs? (You can see those in the "history" option in Synaptic).
Thank you both for your answers!
popeye1234 wrote:I am puzzled as to why you are asking this question here. This isn't really a question about LMMS...
You're right, off course, but this is where I'm most active as far as sound goes.
diiz wrote:Owallgren, I'm not sure how exactly Ubuntu Studio does things. Does it use Pulseaudio at all? Can you see any audio-related updates in your update logs? (You can see those in the "history" option in Synaptic).
Actually, synaptic history seem to be for synaptic installed packages only. Ubuntu Software Center however shows the digital rampage of someone with a sensitivity for machines akin to Khal Drogo... 8-)

I reinstalled the alsa-base package and that wouldn't take. Purged and reinstalled all alsa packages.
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller (rev 01)
This surprised me a bit. I've got an AMD CPU with integrated graphics card(Trinity) but what's it got to do with audio! I'm trying to install the proprietary graphics driver.

I'm looking forward to the next long term stable release...
owallgren wrote: Actually, synaptic history seem to be for synaptic installed packages only. Ubuntu Software Center however shows the digital rampage of someone with a sensitivity for machines akin to Khal Drogo... 8-)
Actually it should show all packages installed with apt. Synaptic itself is just a front-end for apt, I'm not sure what the software center does these days but I thought it would be using apt as well. Maybe not though. It's usually better to use Synaptic for managing packages anyway, the interface may be a bit more complex but it's also faster and more flexible than the software center.
I reinstalled the alsa-base package and that wouldn't take. Purged and reinstalled all alsa packages.
I assume there's no pulseaudio installed on the system? That would be the first thing I'd check when troubleshooting audio.
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller (rev 01)
This surprised me a bit. I've got an AMD CPU with integrated graphics card(Trinity) but what's it got to do with audio! I'm trying to install the proprietary graphics driver.

I'm looking forward to the next long term stable release...
It has to do with audio in that newer GPU's these days include their own audio interfaces, for HDMI audio output. Can't be letting people use DRM-free audio interfaces, after all. People might start getting all kinds of crazy ideas about owning the music/movies they purchased...

Anyway, if all else fails, you could try a clean reinstall. I hope you have a separate /home partition?
diiz wrote:I assume there's no pulseaudio installed on the system? That would be the first thing I'd check when troubleshooting audio.
There is pulseaudio but this is what it looks like when i try to start it so you're on the right track.
$ pulseaudio
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup without any loaded modules, refusing to work.
Starting pavucontrol gives the message(popup/gui)
Connection to PulseAudio failed. Automatic retry in 5s

In this case this is likely because PULSE_SERVER in the Environment/X11 Root Window Properties or default-server in client.conf is misconfigured.
This situation can also arrise when PulseAudio Crashed and left stale details in the X11 Root Window.
If this is the case, then PulseAudio should autospawn again, or if this is not configured you should run start-pulseaudio-x11 manually.
Can't be letting people use DRM-free audio interfaces, after all. People might start getting all kinds of crazy ideas about owning the music/movies they purchased...
There would be chaos.
Anyway, if all else fails, you could try a clean reinstall. I hope you have a separate /home partition?
No separation there unfortunately but I might do a clean install and sort that one out too while I'm at it. Perhaps Ubuntu 14.04 alpha if it's stable enough.
owallgren wrote:There is pulseaudio but this is what it looks like when i try to start it so you're on the right track.
Ok, have you tried reconfiguring/reinstalling pulseaudio? Also, try running LMMS or Audacity with pure ALSA backend. Here's instructions on setting up LMMS to use pure ALSA:

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index. ... ts_in_LMMS

If you get sound with pure ALSA, then the problem is with PA and ALSA works correctly. If not, then the problem is probably deeper than PA.
owallgren wrote:No separation there unfortunately but I might do a clean install and sort that one out too while I'm at it. Perhaps Ubuntu 14.04 alpha if it's stable enough.
I highly recommend a separate /home. If you ever have to reinstall, you can keep your /home intact and keep all your personal files and settings. It even works accross different Ubuntu-based systems, eg. Ubuntu<->Mint.

I wouldn't recommend 14.04 alpha yet though. It's still in alpha and likely not very stable.
owallgren wrote:I'm trying to install the proprietary graphics driver.
That was awesome! I think it really worked but the AMD routines are just... modest and therefore wouldn't dare show the desktop. I'm back where I belong...
diiz wrote:Ok, have you tried reconfiguring/reinstalling pulseaudio?
Yes. I just purged/reinstalled anything pulseaudio and made progress. I now have pavucontroll and will have sound from LMMS showing on the peakmeter so I'm almost there.