Vestige RemoteVSTHost crashes with many plugins

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello all;
I've been using LMMS for about 10 months, love it! I have about 180 different really nice vsti's which work perfectly fine with LMMS; however, there are quite a few great vsti's out there which I would love to use, but which immediately crash the RemoteVSTHost when I try to load them into LMMS.
For example: Diversion (by Dmitry Sches), Einklang (by Eisenberg), Albino (by Papen/LinPlug), Dune (and everything else by Synapse), etc... etc... etc...

(1) What causes this?
(2) What can I do about it?

LMMS 1.0.0 (Windows), Windows XP, 4GB memory, lots of free space on hard drive.

It would be very awesome if I could get help resolving this issue.

thanks!
Andy
Some more information would be nice! What processor model do you have, what version of XP do you have, etc. In general, more technical system information.

However, I can say up front that LMMS does not have the most stable VST support. Granted, while the 1.x.x line is exponentially more stable than the 4.x line, you more than likely still aren't going to be able to run your more CPU intensive VSTs, especially if you are on the type of XP era hardware I'm imagining.
However, I can say up front that LMMS does not have the most stable VST support.
-well not exactly so. In fact lmms support vst's made acording to steinberg specification. But!
Not all vst's meets those!
Its because vst's can be made with kits, and then things are not where they should.
If your lmms installation can load and use synth1, then vst-support works perfect, and any weirdnes belongs to the category 'not our bug'
Here http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index. ... _with_VSTs
is all about working with vst's
Not quite finished the chapter, but its only a few paragraph on the missing env/lfo tab, and actually also something about fails, on different levels.
But the 1.x lmms series has stable support for vst's -imo :ugeek:
Thanks; yes, RemoteVSTHost seems to have no problem with the "CPU-intensive" aspect of plugins. But the vsti's that I'm concerned about are very popular vsti's, some of them from great companies with well-established reputations for high quality --- which is why I want to try them.

So it appears that people using other DAWs are not experiencing a problem using those vsti's.

But I'm not interested in using those other DAWs; I only want to use LMMS. Nevertheless, I'm disappointed every time to see that message "VSTRemoteHost has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience."

When this happens, is there a way for me to access and copy an error text which might prove useful to an LMMS developer, and which perhaps might lead to a solution to this issue I'm experiencing?

thanks;
Andy
sizemore0409 wrote:Hello all;
I've been using LMMS for about 10 months, love it! I have about 180 different really nice vsti's which work perfectly fine with LMMS; however, there are quite a few great vsti's out there which I would love to use, but which immediately crash the RemoteVSTHost when I try to load them into LMMS.
For example: Diversion (by Dmitry Sches), Einklang (by Eisenberg), Albino (by Papen/LinPlug), Dune (and everything else by Synapse), etc... etc... etc...

(1) What causes this?
(2) What can I do about it?
We have some open bugs with current VST(i) functionality. If you truly want to help resolve these issues, I would recommend opening a bug report on our tracker with the VSTs that do not work (list all of them that you feel are worthy of fixing, 32-bit vs 64-bit and whether they are free/proprietary or have time demos). Also mention that it is a placeholder for once you get some debug information.

Next, (assuming you're on windows) set up an Ubuntu 12.04 install (this can be in VM such as virtualbox), follow our steps to build and reproduce the crash on Linux with a stack trace. Once you determine the common place these crash, put that information into the bug report and we'll try to get a developer to look at it and determine if it's a quick fix or not.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it's the only way these things will get addressed. We're all end-users that are volunteering our time so the more involved you can get with a really good bug report, the better chance we'll get this stuff fixed.

P.S. The code/bug tracker is in my signature. -Tres
You get a regular .dll file with those plugins/synthesizers? And you try to open a .dll, right? :)
sti2nd wrote:You get a regular .dll file with those plugins/synthesizers? And you try to open a .dll, right? :)

Yes, that is correct.
musikbear wrote:
However, I can say up front that LMMS does not have the most stable VST support.
-well not exactly so. In fact lmms support vst's made acording to steinberg specification.
If your lmms installation can load and use synth1, then vst-support works perfect,
This is not completely true, sorry. There are too many variables to say that if LMMS can load one particular VST then its VST support is perfect. Furthermore, it is laughable to say that just because LMMS supposedly supports a certain standard that it's the VST's fault if it crashes.

My machine can run synth1 as long as it isn't being thrashed around, yet can load many other VSTs and never crash.

The 1.x.x line is much better, but not completely stable.