No sound output in LMMS

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I installed the most recent version of LMMS recently, and had a play around with it the other day and everything was working fine. However, when I tried to use it today it kept reverting to the dummy audio in settings, regardless of what I chose or whether or not I restarted LMMS. I since installed a previous version of LMMS (4.13), to see if that would work. In the older version I can change the audio settings but no sound is produced regardless of what I choose. There is nothing wrong with my compute as all other programs play audio fine.

HELP!!!!!!!!
We need to know the version of LMMS, and your OS to help you. Linux is so much different than, Windows, or MAC.
Eino wrote:We need to know the version of LMMS, and your OS to help you. Linux is so much different than, Windows, or MAC.
The first problem was with version 1.1.0. The second is with 0.4.13.

I'm using Windows 8.1, 64 bit.

Thank you!
MikeFallopian wrote:
Eino wrote:We need to know the version of LMMS, and your OS to help you. Linux is so much different than, Windows, or MAC.
The first problem was with version 1.1.0. The second is with 0.4.13.

I'm using Windows 8.1, 64 bit.

Thank you!
If you had Linux I could help you, but I'am not an expert with Windows. I gave up on Windows during the end of Vista.
Did you try a complete, re-install? Including removing the file locations, and registry items..
Windows can be fickle that way.If I remember correctly. Just put your projects folder in a different folder till you get the re-install done.
Version 0.4.13 is now having the same problem as 1.1.0 - in that it keeps reverting to the dummy audio setting.

I really hope someone can help with this as I really liked LMMS when I played around with it the other day - this is so frustrating!
Reverting to the dummy (default) settings typically means that LMMS is having issues loading its configuration file. Unless you changed it, it should be located at C:\Users\%USERNAME%\lmmsrc.xml. Please check to see if it is there. If it isn't there, you may have set it to look elsewhere, but if it is there, try deleting it as it may be corrupted.
MikeFallopian wrote:I installed the most recent version of LMMS recently, and had a play around with it the other day and everything was working fine. However, when I tried to use it today it kept reverting to the dummy audio in settings, regardless of what I chose or whether or not I restarted LMMS. I since installed a previous version of LMMS (4.13), to see if that would work. In the older version I can change the audio settings but no sound is produced regardless of what I choose. There is nothing wrong with my compute as all other programs play audio fine.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Thanks for contacting us.

First, reboot. That tends to remedy strange problems (I assume you've done this)

Second, if you are able to locate your

Code: Select all

.lmmsrc.xml
file, rename it to avoid potential problems (don't delete it... the developers might need it!).

Third, try different sound options in your preferences. Note any that work, work partially or don't work at all.

Fourth, reinstall your sound driver. If you have an option to remove 3rd party drivers, do it and then let it reinstall from Windows Update. If that does not fix it and you have an option to install the latest sound driver from the manufacturers website, try that next. Make sure to test the software in-between each test and report back.

If none of this works, let us know very specifics about your hardware and driver versions. The more you can research and offer us, the better we can make the software! :)
MikeFallopian wrote:I installed the most recent version of LMMS recently, and had a play around with it the other day and everything was working fine. However, when I tried to use it today it kept reverting to the dummy audio in settings
i would really like to know what took place on your system between 'working fine' and 'reverting to the dummy settings'
That is the real issue- If you have had 1.1 running and working, and then 'something' interfere, then that 'something' need to be identified
Tresf is right. the config file can indeed be the culpit.
You may find it difficult to rename this file, because its a '.' (dot)file
Move or copy it to a different disk, that should work
-btw, for windows the prefered audio-device is SDL
So, here is the fix i had this problem too. So you go to the audio interface under settings and change the built in device to your selected output such as default output etc.
Thanks, everyone for the suggestions, but I found the problem. In the past, when I saw combined this or that in the puslseaudio volume control, it was going to my HDMI external monitor, causing one hell of an echo. So I didn't choose that in audio options. Then, just by chance, I saw that option as well. The one I'd seen turned out to be THE problem. Once I selected it, lmms had audio again.

As for which lmms, it's the Linux AppImage for version 1.2.2. I thought I'd gotten it from either Alien Bob's stuff or SBO, but I looked in my Downloads/00-done directory, and saw the appimage. And I'm running Slackware 15, not M$ CrashOS.

I finally escaped Crashy and will never go back. An M$ tech "support" idiot told me that when my system would just shutdown without any notice and without my permission, it was NOT a crash if it was M$ doing it to do updates. Right...yeah, sure. Crash.

I'll use wine + yabridge if it helps me get VSTs (by converting DLLs to .so) that I can't find native for Linux, but once I discovered that just as free sometimes means you have to pay up to a few thousand dollars for it, those "50 best FREE VSTs for Linux" (etc) often don't have a single Linux VST in them. Others do. It's all hit and miss. I think sites insert what you're searching for as click-bait or something like that, even if they don't have what you're searching for. I've found some, but the only string instrument I've found (and it's one I definitely want) is a harpsichord. I've found plenty of percussion, including some pianos, drum machines, etc, but no raw drums, hi-hat cymbal, cymbals, vibes (aka vibraharp), etc. So far, that is.

And just for anyone (like me until recently) who might need this bit of information: If you're using a USB <---> MIDI cable:

1) Do not use a USB hub (not even a good one that's powered by an AC adapter); go to a USB port ON your system.
Otherwise, you''ll be going crazy with your MIDI controller suddenly not working, where you have to shut down
LMMS, unplug both ends for at least 20s, then reverse that and hope it works again. Same goes for #2--3 below:

2) Buy one with ferrite chokes on both ends to block random EM noise.

3) Use only the cable length you need to go from your MIDI controller to your computer's USB port (routed so it's
out of the way)

The above list is formatted with indentations, etc. If it loses that, use your imagination---I don't know how to do lists in these forums.... Trivial in TeX, but not in these.

Thanks, everyone!