Record midi with external keyboard

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi all,

is anyone able to record midi in the current 1.1 release?
I am able to use my keyboard to play the notes and i can see the keys being pressed but they just won't record. When i press them with the mouse they record correctly.
I had this bug in one of the older releases but i was always able to record with the default organ you have when you open a new project. Only the other instruments didnt work. But now i cant get any instrument to work.

Thanks,
beku
not sure i understand -are you saying that when you use the Image
second (or third) button here, and then press keys on your connected midi-keyboard, you do not create notes in piano-roll?
What midikeyboard do you own?
Hi musikbear,

its exactly as you say. I can hear the notes playing and see the keys being pressed though. They just won't record on piano roll.
i use an mpk mini usb keyboard and i use alsa midi in lmms (not alsa raw).

Thanks,
beku
Hi musikbear,

some additional input for you:

i just hooked up an old roland jp8000 to a usb to midi interface and tried again. It just behaves like the akai mpk mini. I can hear the sound see the notes being pressed on the piano roll but they won't record.
I use Fedora Linux release 19 and compiled the 1.1.0 release myself without errors.
For midi IO the ALSA-Sequencer is used in the lmms settings menu.
When i load my old 1.0.2 binaries, i am able to record midi with all instruments (tried triple osc and zynaddsubfx)...
Hope this helps...

Cheers,
beku
i am afraid that this could be a linux problem :| -of which i know nothing-
From your description, i would say that you have done it 100% correct, and that the notes should be 'recorded' in piano-roll
I hope someone with linux knowledge see this and chimes in too!

There is however one thing i thought about, but ofcause you have already tried in a completely new and empty project?
If not- try that! The notes could be recorded in a different bar-pos than you expect..
I seem to have exact the same problem. With a Maudio Keystation mini 32.

LMMS seems to recognize it, exactly as what it is. But it wont record the notes. I used a midi keyboard with an earlier version, and it worked just fine.
I also tried a vst, the mini moog which also seems to work fine, but it wont record.
Nor with synthaddsub fx. Sound plays but its not recording.

Bug report ?

The O.S. I use is openSUSE 13.1. 64bit (Linux)
I'm on Windows 8.1 with LMMS 1.1.0 and I have no problems with recording MIDI. So it seems like a problem with non-Windows versions of LMMS.
@caLRo ..njeii.. there are SO many unknowns in this. Think at all the various hw stuff, that could be a reason, each on their own, but it leans toward linux -definately :/

@gps - bug report yes, you know the issue, so will you make it?
I will report this at the github, and link to this topic. :)

I did some tests. It does not matter if I use pulse audio or alsa.
I also booted windows 7, and it does work there. Probably an older version of lmms, but Calpro confirmed it works on win 8 with 1.1.0.
So its definitely some Linux related issue.
I created an issue report on the github.

https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/1732

Edit:

If you subscribe to the github and reply to the topic I started, you will get an email every time some one replies.