Windows 10 runtime error on launch LMMS 1.1.3

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I used to run LMMS on windows 7. Since I got a new Windows 10 PC I can’t run it.

I'm currently running Windows 10 version 1607, build 14393.1066 but have had same problem with several previous OS versions over several months - I have never been able to run LMMS on this PC (though it works on my windows 10 tablet).))

When I launch LMMS V1.1.3 (both 32 and 64 bit versions) I get an error from Visual C++ Runtime Library:

"Runtime Error
Program: C:\Program Files\LMMS\lmms.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

When I click OK, I get:

"lmms.exe has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Would appreciate any suggestions!

Many thanks!
Val Jones
valjones wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:04 pm
I used to run LMMS on windows 7. Since I got a new Windows 10 PC I can’t run it.
:
When I launch LMMS V1.1.3 (both 32 and 64 bit versions) I get an error from Visual C++ Runtime Library:

"Runtime Error
Program: C:\Program Files\LMMS\lmms.exe
I believe this win10 error is caused by extended user-control in win10
You need to specific install as Administrator and if irc you even need to run the program specific as Administrator.
You do this by right-clicking the file, and choose run as Admin
win10 will require your Admin-password
Try that first, if it still fails let us know.
Thanks Musikbear, i tried your suggestion, but same result I'm afraid...
Val
valjones wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:40 pm
i tried your suggestion, but same result I'm afraid...
After you did the uninstall, Did you remember to move the configuration file :
C:\Users\<Username>\.lmmsrc.xml
If you still have the old config-file, then the new installation as admin will not work

So
1) deinstall current lmms
2) find and move the C:\Users\<Username>\.lmmsrc.xml config-file away from Users
3) dl a new fresh install-pack
4) right-click and run it as admin'
5) right-click and rum lmms.exe as admin

Then i hope that c... problem is gone

You may ask yourself - Why does lmms stink -Well it does not, it is the larger subtypes of windows that tries to exclude indie-software. MS expect software to be signed -eg approved by MS
You will see a warning when you try to install, something like

zxy tries to install an un-signed application from xzx
y/n

That un-signed is afaik the colpit. It cost BIG box to get a signing.
Hi musikBear!

I tried your new suggestion, but there was no config file C:\Users\<Username>\.lmmsrc.xml to move. I also searched all of C: for .lmmsrc.xml but couldn't find it or similar anywhere (tho I don't trust win10 search, it fails to find things i know are there - possibly because I did my best to bypass/kill Cortana when i built the system... and possibly cos it also sucks)

I went through the process anyway, including removing all lmms files/folders that I could find before re-download, reinstall as admin and run as admin, but got same result.

Maybe the LMMS config file was never built - I never got past that first failure to launch screen on this new PC so mmaybe it was never created. LMMS has never run on this PC.

I totally agree with you - I think LMMS is great. it's not LMMS that sucks, but windows (and especially 10)!

Thanks again for your help, Val
valjones wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:17 pm
I went through the process anyway, including removing all lmms files/folders that I could find before re-download, reinstall as admin and run as admin, but got same result.
:´/ ahhh c...
I have an other shot, but not sure if its win10 useable..

This code

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE lmms-config-file>
<lmms version="1.1.3">
  <app nomsgaftersetup="0" displaydbv="0" nommpz="1" configured="1"/>
  <audioportaudio backend="MME" device="Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input"/>
  <audiosdl device=""/>
  <mixer framesperaudiobuffer="6400" hqaudio="1" audiodev="SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer)" mididev="WinMM MIDI"/>
  <recentfiles>
  </recentfiles>
</lmms>
try this:
Copy this exactly as it is written here inside the code-box, and paste it into an empty file in a proper code-editor!
Save the file as

.lmmsrc.xml

The dot infront MUST be there!
put it in

C:\Users\<Username>\ <here>

start lmms

quite curious to see if it works..
I was experiencing the same problem. I tried creating the xml file just as you describe and it worked. Thanks.
Adogg91 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 3:46 am
I was experiencing the same problem. I tried creating the xml file just as you describe and it worked. Thanks.
Thanks for reporting back
Could i ask you to tell us what windows version you had success with?

Besides that,
Welcome to the forum Adogg91! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
Bumpy bump bump. :)
Wow, worked perfectly thanks so much.