Bass sounds wrong

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Oh, one more thing.
cosmia wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 6:14 pm
So is the bass and piano out of tune with each other or am I just imagining it?
Did you move the notes of the Bass sound, up or down the piano roll, like I suggested in my first post above? :)
cosmia wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 6:14 pm
What's an mmp? (noob question)
[/quote]
Its the projects :)
Lmms can make 3 different types of saved files:
mpt : templates
mmp : non-compressed projects
mmpz : compressed projects
If none of the above suggestions work, let musikbear check out your Lmms projects .mmpz file.
Yes i will do that, but make a MMP, not MMPZ :)
To Save as MMP:
* Open project
* File | save-as
* chose a name... 'xyzzxy.mmp'
press save
You can upload on any file-host like google drive
I will ofcause respect your rights
Thanks for responses.

So, I've saved it with the bass and piano sample from above. Upload like this? http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 4808969913
cosmia wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 2:57 am
Upload like this?
yop its fine i have the file, i would have preferred a mmp, but nwm, i will see what i can do, and i reply here
It is not the notes in the bass, it is the 'piano'
You cant use a sound-clip as instrument over octaves
Lmms cant do that. When a sound-clip is played in a different octave than it is natively recorded, the speed and pitch is making the sound distorted.
So in fact, that 'piano.ogg' sample is only valid for one single note
In fact you would need samples for each note in the whole grand-piano, and use those in either a sound-font, or a sampler
Thats called a 'sampled-instrument', and they are typically HUGE in size, and expensive

Use a vst piano like MDApiano, and you have a fine piano-sound (imo), Other options can be found in wiki

In relation to samples as instrument, i recommend you to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTyzMo3VU4
Because you can use short waves
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I quite understand the technical side of things, but do I basically need to avoid using the preloaded instruments and instead use external VSTs? And the ones on the wiki in particular? I just tried the MDA Piano with the MaxSynths Bass Module, the one I've been trying to use, and they didn't sound right together. But then I tried the EVM bass from the wiki with the MDA and they sound correct. I used to use Cubase a bit and didn't have this issue - seemed all VSTs I used fitted together in tune so that's why I'm unfamiliar with this. I want to use LMMS if possible though because it's otherwise a lot easier to use.

The other problem is that these VSTs are using up a crazy amount of my CPU, sometimes nearly 50%! Why is that? I have noticed that several I've tried cause LMMS to crash, but they're probably not ones from the wiki.
cosmia wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 10:58 pm
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I quite understand the technical side of things, but do I basically need to avoid using the preloaded instruments and instead use external VSTs? And the ones on the wiki in particular? I just tried the MDA Piano with the MaxSynths Bass Module, the one I've been trying to use, and they didn't sound right together. But then I tried the EVM bass from the wiki with the MDA and they sound correct. I used to use Cubase a bit and didn't have this issue - seemed all VSTs I used fitted together in tune so that's why I'm unfamiliar with this. I want to use LMMS if possible though because it's otherwise a lot easier to use.

The other problem is that these VSTs are using up a crazy amount of my CPU, sometimes nearly 50%! Why is that? I have noticed that several I've tried cause LMMS to crash, but they're probably not ones from the wiki.
Yeah. Some Vst's do use up, a good bit of cpu and do cause Lmms, to crash or freeze up. :)
A good cool vst to try out, is Synth 1.
It's a vst, that doesn't consume alot of cpu. Feel free to check it out. :D
cosmia wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 10:58 pm
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I quite understand the technical side of things, but do I basically need to avoid using the preloaded instruments and instead use external VSTs?
The LMMS Instruments like Triple Oscillator, Watsyn, ZynAddSubFx etc from the "Instrument Plugins" list are fine to use.

Instrument type samples like piano01.ogg and cello01.ogg from the "My Samples" list are a lot trickier to use and are probably best avoided.

So if you're looking for "conventional" instruments like piano, violin, trumpet etc it's best to look for VSTs. For free ones try www.dskmusic.com They have quite a few that mostly work o.k. with LMMS.

Steve
musikbear wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 4:03 pm
It is not the notes in the bass, it is the 'piano'
You cant use a sound-clip as instrument over octaves
Lmms cant do that. When a sound-clip is played in a different octave than it is natively recorded, the speed and pitch is making the sound distorted.
THANK YOU musicbear. I have been struggling with this exact issue for a month. The sad part is that on several instances, this possibility came to mind as I had read that many of the samples are for single note use only and become distorted when raised or lowered in note. I thought I was loosing my mind and that I was tone or pitch deaf. I was actually devastated until now. I recently suffered from six years of tinnitus due to a wax build up and an inner ear infection. I was blessed to no longer have the ringing after the antibiotics were finished. It was like my right ear was kept in shrink wrap and preserved for six years, it is now a super ear. So, while working on my last few tracks, I would wake up and play a track as routine but it would sound totally different then when I last heard it before I slept. It was frightening. I also found that listening to a proper song, then switching to a track I was working on had the same effect as when I would wake up and listen. I believe that human hearing learns to accept bad notes and bad pitch within minutes of being subjected to it and that sleep resets the auditory components of the brain. I wonder how many people gave up on music production due to this unfortunate effect. Imagine going to sleep thinking that a song sounds good, having heard it on a stereo and two devices, then waking up and it sounds like a horror movie track, so you check how it sound on all of the devices and it all sounds like horror. I actually started to think that the Mandela effect was real, that my past actions were being altered. Man, I was freaking.