No sound after re opening a song.

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I had a one song saved, started working on a different song. Now when I go back to the old song no sound is coming through.
It looks like it is playing, but no sound coming through the speakers, also nothing happening on the master channel in fx mixer. Can open new project and sound is fine, the sound settings are the same on both projects.
Would appreciate any suggestions on a fix.

Also I can open triple oscillator on the song with no sound and hit a key on the piano and can hear sound, but when I hit play on the song editor I get no sound.

LMMS 1.1.3
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
mathias wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:41 pm
I had a one song saved, started working on a different song. Now when I go back to the old song no sound is coming through
Thats ..odd
If you have used limiters, you my have filters blocking output, but it could also be other things..
But This is so strange that i need to see the project
upload the project, AS MMP! -and send me the link as PM (just right-click my name in byline and choose Contact musikBear), i will take a look at it

To Save as MMP:
* Open project
* File | save-as
* chose a name... 'xyzzxy.mmp'
press save
You can upload on any file-host like google drive
I will ofcause respect your rights

Besides that, since you are new here Welcome to the forum mathias! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)

In case you like to introduce yourself to the rest of the community, this is the right place
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
mathias wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:41 pm
It looks like it is playing, but no sound coming through the speakers, also nothing happening on the master channel in fx mixer. Can open new project and sound is fine, the sound settings are the same on both projects.
Try and render/export the song. The render process does some extra tests for bad data to prevent it from reaching the mixer.
Hi,
I had the same issue multiple times and I also had never managed to fix it. Could you maybe help me as well?
With my latest project where this occurred, I still hear everything as normal when I render the Track. Also, I use a lot of Limiters. I also checked my master and mixer - everything seems fine. The strange thing is that I worked on the Track for 50+ hours and had more than 20 saves. Everything change I do since the latest save will trigger this error, no matter what I do.
Jonathan
By the way, I still use LMMS 1.1.3 since I started the Track there and some things did not work correctly when trying to open it in LMMS 1.2.1.
Stonathan wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:07 am
Hi,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum Stonathan !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
I had the same issue multiple times and I also had never managed to fix it.
First of all do a simple test.
Open the project but do NOT play it!
Insert a triple-Oscillator from my-instruments
Set that new triple-Oscillator to play solo
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=So ... ack-Button
Then press a key on the triple-Oscillator keyboard!
Does it make a sound?
If it does not, then we can exclude your complete project, from being the reason for the lost sound!

But id you DO hear sound from this new instrument, then it is indeed something in your project, that causes the lost sound!

When you add limiters, you risk to create a note with very long wave-length.
That can be seen as an almost horizontal RED line in the Wave / CPU Display witch displays the current waveform
Make sure the display is enabled (click on it) and then start play.
If you hear a pop, and then nothing, then inspect the display.
Does it have a horizontal red line in the bottom of the display?
If so, you have a faulty setup in one of your limiters.

Did it NOT pop? And there is nothing in the display?
First check that you have the correct Audio-backend.
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... o_Settings

If you do have the correct Audio-backend, check if you have pushed either of mixer or main volume-out-put to 0 -It happens :)
musikbear wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:05 pm
Stonathan wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:07 am
Hi,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum Stonathan !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
I had the same issue multiple times and I also had never managed to fix it.
First of all do a simple test.
Open the project but do NOT play it!
Insert a triple-Oscillator from my-instruments
Set that new triple-Oscillator to play solo
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=So ... ack-Button
Then press a key on the triple-Oscillator keyboard!
Does it make a sound?
If it does not, then we can exclude your complete project, from being the reason for the lost sound!

But id you DO hear sound from this new instrument, then it is indeed something in your project, that causes the lost sound!

When you add limiters, you risk to create a note with very long wave-length.
That can be seen as an almost horizontal RED line in the Wave / CPU Display witch displays the current waveform
Make sure the display is enabled (click on it) and then start play.
If you hear a pop, and then nothing, then inspect the display.
Does it have a horizontal red line in the bottom of the display?
If so, you have a faulty setup in one of your limiters.

Did it NOT pop? And there is nothing in the display?
First check that you have the correct Audio-backend.
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... o_Settings

If you do have the correct Audio-backend, check if you have pushed either of mixer or main volume-out-put to 0 -It happens :)
Hi Musikbear,
thanks for your help!
So when I started the project, I could even play every sound individually but when I pushed any play button, the sound was blocked. No pop sound came and also the CPU meter did make any movement. I have also checked my audio-backend, everything was as usual. Neither my mixer, nor the volume output was set to 0. I can open any other project or an old safe and it would still work. I really do not know what I should do.
Jonathan
Stonathan wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:11 pm
when I pushed play button, the sound was blocked.
Yup! That is one (or more) of your effects that has a setting that creates an 'infinity' long in-audible waveform.
The solution is to
* open lmms and load project
We will manipulate a lot in this project, and do not want to ruin the real project, so make a save-as, and save orr. project with a new name! -like <orr-project>FailSave.mmp
Everything we do from here is in that project!
Firstly you need a Mixer-channel with no effects so create a new mixer-channel, and name it 'vanilla'
Lets say vanilla has number 20
* SOLO the first instrument-button
* Observe what Mixer-channel it has, and then change Mixer-output to 20
* press play
If it plays, then that one is fine in vanilla-state
If it does NOT play
* examine it. What type of effects are inserted on its own FX-tab
* Save the project
* Open a blank project
* press a key
* * if it plays -Reload FailSave
* * if it does not play -Shut LMMS down and reopen

...and thats it
Except of-cause, you now have to do that for every instrument-track in the whole project, step by step..
Rinse and repeat..
If you are lucky you find the reason if first shot
If not lucky...
[You do the maths]
Hey Musikbear,
thank you for putting so much effort in helping me to fix the project!
So following your steps, I managed to figure out which channels were the problematic ones. I simply deleted the limiters there, set them up again and that was it!
Jonathan
Stonathan wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:24 pm
Hey Musikbear,
thank you for putting so much effort in helping me to fix the project!
So following your steps, I managed to figure out which channels were the problematic ones. I simply deleted the limiters there, set them up again and that was it!
Jonathan
Great! Happy for you :)