Runtime error when opening Settings / VST hangs

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello,

I'm having an issue where LMMS opens fine and will run it's built in instrument plugins without crashing. The first problem I was having is when opening a plugin through Vestige it would inevitably hang. This would happen quickly with Drumburst and also pretty soon with DSKs and numerous others. Now if I try to go to Settings I get the 'runtime requested this program to terminate it in an unusual way' error ie LMMS crashes. I tried updating Windows which didn't help and also tried System Restore to no avail.

Forgive me if this has been asked previously but the only thing close I could find was a thread involving a runtime error just opening LMMS.

It happens in both LMMS 1.1.3 and 2. Running Window 7 Pro Service Pack 1. X 64. 4 gig RAM.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
dsc027 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:54 am
Hello,
Hi, Welcome to the forum dsc027! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)

In case you like to introduce yourself to the rest of the community, this is the right place
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480

The first problem I was having is when opening a plugin through Vestige it would inevitably hang.
That could be caused by a incompatible VST, even though only few instruments exist, but You should try MDA-Piano http://mda.smartelectronix.com/synths.htm
It is very small in size, and you can just copy it to your folder. -Eg NO installation! Further its a quite good piano-instrument, so it is a win win
if I try to go to Settings I get the 'runtime requested this program to terminate it in an unusual way'
:
I tried updating Windows
:
also tried System Restore to no avail.
Ok, this is the dot-file issue
Happens when several unstall processes has been attempted
You should be able to fix it with this:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... h_Settings
Running Window 7 Pro Service Pack 1. X 64. 4 gig RAM.
Nice, more than enough to rum lmms
Welcome to the forums dsc027.

Just as musikbear said, it could be an incompatible vst.
Whenever you have time, check out this list of vst's, that work well in Lmms.
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Tested_VSTs

Note: If you find any new/old vst, that's not on the list, but always works well
in Lmms, feel free to give us a heads up, so it could be added, to the Lmms vst wiki list. :D
Thanks for the response and sorry for my delay in being able to try your suggestion.

Unfortunately now I receive the same such runtime error message but when LMMS is loading, with "preparing automation editor" at the bottom when this happens.

And you all's suggestion on the VSTs makes sense. It is just odd how they seemed to initially work fine for a few months after I first started using LMMS, then the hiccups.

Maybe these are all issues with Windows or my PC, but any further advice is appreciated.
dsc027 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:01 am
Unfortunately now I receive the same such runtime error message but when LMMS is loading, with "preparing automation editor" at the bottom when this happens.
Serious odd...
It is just odd how VST seemed to initially work fine for a few months after I first started using LMMS, then the hiccups.
Oooooo! Thats a new info!
Maybe these are all issues with Windows or my PC
Yes! that is most likely the case - Have you installed software trial-versions, or trial-versions of games?
Unfortunately trials often make havoc in windows. They simply do what they need to be able to run, and then the user is left with a crippled system.
If that (trial-software) some way ring a bell, then you should attempt a windows repair, as administrator!!!
If there is nothing to repair, nothing will happen.
I always advice to make backup of important files before fiddling with windows!
Bottom line : Something has happened on your system, that has crippled lmms, so VST support has gone, that is what you need to fix, not lmms.