Runtime Error at boot preventing launch

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I recently installed LMMS (and by recently, I mean a few hours ago), and the program refuses to launch, preferring instead to give me a popup stating that it had requested my computer to terminate it "in an unusual fashion"

I'm then given another popup asking me if I'd like to debug it in MS Visual Studio (I'm a CS Major at WSU), which I've made a habit of opting to just close the program. (I'm sure you can imagine how difficult this issue made the anti-spambot verification process).

Any suggestions? I'm attempting to use the stable release that's currently available on your download page...
Mystic_Thunder017 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:41 pm
I recently installed LMMS verification process).
Welcome to the forum Mystic_Thunder017! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)

In case you like to introduce yourself to the rest of the community, this is the right place
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480

I'm attempting to use the stable release that's currently available on your download page...
On what OS?
We have had problem with enterprise-edd of win10. Looks like there are some strong verification check, that has given grief.
Are you on this premium OS ?
Is this the error message you see?
If not can you please show us the popup.
Yeah, of course. I'm running Win10 Home Edition.

Here's a screencap of the error:

So... is there a way to fix it? I'd really love to learn how to use LMMS, since I don't have several hundred dollars to buy a license for YET ANOTHER program...
Mystic_Thunder017 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:10 pm
So... is there a way to fix it?
I hope so :)
So in first : Why does -some- get this issue and some did not?
Imo it all has to do with windows update. If windows update are allowed to change sound-devise drivers, i believe this c*** is the result

The issue has been linked to a dll named libportaudio_2
This has been updated in current RC to a different sound-devise
So the current RC should 'work' also for you, but..
RC2/3 has issues. The worst is (imo) a fail in automation-copies and crash for some users in export on windows (a SDL problem)
But i have an earlier RC, that did not have the automation issue.
That should be available here:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/releases/tag/v1.1.90

One different way would be to try the 'sharp' version of the dll
https://code.google.com/archive/p/portaudiosharp/
That has been reported to work for some users.
If you go that way, then rename the dll libportaudio_2.dll and replace it for the one in lmms-root

ANYWHITCH!
what method you decide to try, you do need to follow these instructions, to get rid of the lmms config-file, before you try to reinstall either the RC3 or the 1.1.90:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... h_Settings
Changing dll does not need a new install at all

*phew* .. let me know if anything worked for you, and which one that did...
musikbear wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:03 pm
*phew* .. let me know if anything worked for you, and which one that did...
Well... no dice
From your screen capture it looks like you are trying to run the 32bit version of LMMS.

If your PC isn't 32bit you may do better with the latest (1.1.3) 64bit version of LMMS. And if it really is 32bit can you give us the specification of it, i.e. what processor, memory, sound card etc? Many of the 32bit systems still out there are getting pretty old and feeble by now.

Steve
slipstick wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:14 pm
From your screen capture it looks like you are trying to run the 32bit version of LMMS.

If your PC isn't 32bit you may do better with the latest (1.1.3) 64bit version of LMMS. And if it really is 32bit can you give us the specification of it, i.e. what processor, memory, sound card etc? Many of the 32bit systems still out there are getting pretty old and feeble by now.

Steve
I'm trying SOOOO hard not to be offended right now. I'm running the latest (supposedly stable) 64 bit version of LMMS, on a fairly new (like, only a year or so old) A8-7410 with 6GB of DDR3-1866. No dedicated sound card, but that's probably because it's a freaking laptop while I save up for my dedicated studio build... this is as much a mystery to myself and the group of more experienced individuals that are trying to help me figure this system's quirks out as it is to you.

But what do I know? I'm just a Computer Science major who's on forced sabbatical while I sort out some political BS with the University I attend...
So neither the SHARP dll or the other suggestions solved the problem..
Did you get the 1.1.90 ed. ?
..And that failed too?!
Mystic_Thunder017 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:16 pm
I'm a Computer Science major
Then we in the lmms project really would appreciate any aid you could give!
The obvious would be to investigate this tenacious win10 bug, but there are several other issues, that holds back the release of 1.2
So if you feel like giving some time to the project, this is the way in:
You can read all about participating and how to get your own repository, the methods for creating and submitting patches and the Master commits, Here:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki

Project lead is Tres Finocchiaro He is the one to contact if you have special questions or run into some difficulties with the gitHub system.
https://github.com/tresf

I have given you all i have in respect to get the issue fixed, as a last thing, deinstall, scan your reg for anything related to lmms, if any remove it, remove the dot config file and install RC3
Mystic_Thunder017 wrote:
I'm trying SOOOO hard not to be offended right now. I'm running the latest (supposedly stable) 64 bit version of LMMS, on a fairly new (like, only a year or so old) A8-7410 with 6GB of DDR3-1866. No dedicated sound card, but that's probably because it's a freaking laptop while I save up for my dedicated studio build... this is as much a mystery to myself and the group of more experienced individuals that are trying to help me figure this system's quirks out as it is to you.

But what do I know? I'm just a Computer Science major who's on forced sabbatical while I sort out some political BS with the University I attend...
A CS major really should know better than to install 64 bit applications into "Program Files (x86)" yet that's where your screen shot shows the failing program to be. LMMS won't do that on its own.

Still I've only been working with computers for 50 years and teaching CS courses for only part of that. You and your "group of more experienced individuals" can surely sort it out yourselves. Bye.

Steve
slipstick wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:23 pm
Mystic_Thunder017 wrote:

A CS major really should know better than to install 64 bit applications into "Program Files (x86)" yet that's where your screen shot shows the failing program to be. LMMS won't do that on its own.

Still I've only been working with computers for 50 years and teaching CS courses for only part of that. You and your "group of more experienced individuals" can surely sort it out yourselves. Bye.

Steve
Where in there did I call myself an expert?! Do tell me how you got that... because even I (by some miracle) seem to understand that major =/= expert. And by "more experienced" I guess I should never assume that anyone's capable of realizing that I'm pretty much only referring to them being more experienced than myself.

Besides... I never really learned anything in the first place; my professors were too busy making sure EVERYONE ELSE passed to even honor the appointments that I'd schedule during their office hours. And then tutoring somehow wasn't available for some reason (I happen to know it's a variation on the Evergreen State College drama, but the school officials would never acknowledge that)... it's kinda hard to learn jack when you're expected to sit in the back to prevent the University from getting hit with lawsuits, too. I was f***ed from the moment I chose my intended major... but whatever. Thanks anyway...