How do you make a song not clip??

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Just got this software, and am not really into music production, so I know virtually nothing, I understand that clipping is when the same instrument is playing at the same time so it creates a distorsion and it's because I use the default settings... But I don't know how to fix it, I look it up before asking.
See the Digital clipping section at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

One way among others to solve the clipping problem:

1) Check the channel 0 gauge of the mixer. This gauge should not hit the top of the red zone. If it hits the top:

2) Assign each instrument to a channel of the mixer, this will give you an overview of the level of each of these instruments.

3) Then, for example, you can decide to decrease the volume of an instru, a few instru, or all the instru.

- If you decide to decrease the volume of all the instru, you have the option to do it proportionately. For example, subtract 20% of volume from each instrument.

>> If the volume of Synth1 = 90> 90-20% = 72
>> If the volume of Synth2 = 75> 75-20% = 60
>> Etc.

- Considering things from the point of view of the chain of signal processing, you can decrease the volume of an instrument at different times of this chain:

a) at the beginning of the chain, with the main knob VOL (to the left of the PAN knob)

b) or in the middle/end of the chain, that is to say:

- by adding an Amplifier after all the effects you would have used on the instrument itself (PLUGIN tab), and by decreasing the volume via this Amplifier,

- or by adding an Amplifier after all the effects you would have used on the mixer channel assigned to this instrument (EFFECTS CHAIN ​​tab), and decreasing the volume via this Amplifier,

- or via the mixer channel volume fader assigned to this instrument.

4) Check the channel gauge 0.

I hope that is understandable ... :lol:
With a little practice, this will eventually seem obvious to you.
kurinoku wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:47 am
Just got this software,
Perhaps my LMMS rookie-guide can interest you? Link in signature.
Besides that, since you are new here Welcome to the forum kurinoku! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)

In case you like to introduce yourself to the rest of the community, this is the right place
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480

Yes D.ipsum has good points, If you need help understanding our mixer, i have made tutorials for that too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuT_Ok6o5Dc
Thank you very much for your answers, I'll check what you recommended, but the thing is the cracking noise doesn't disappear even if I put it on the minimum for each instrument (I also redirected the instruments to separate channels)
Can you tell us which instrument is the problem?
Can you give the possible chain of effects associated with this instrument?

If it is a native synth (except Zyn), it may be necessary to activate the volume envelope (via AMT) with ATT> 0 and / or REL> 0. In some cases, it resolves unwanted click sounds.
It's TripleOscillator and AudioFileProcessor, the first one is the one that is making the most problems since 4 tracks have it in.
Have you activated the volume envelope?

If this is not the case, go to ENV/LFO > VOLUME and to stay closer to the sound you have when this envelope is not activated try this:

AMT = 1,
DEL = 0,
ATT = 0 ,
HOLD = 0,
DEC = 0,
SUST = 1,
REL = -0.05.

If the unwanted sound occurs at the beginning of its sound, you can increase the value of ATT slightly (for example 0.01).

If it occurs at the end of its sound, you can increase the value of REL (usually 0.05 is enough, but you can increase it a bit).

As far as I know, this works for all LMMS synths (except ZynAddSubFX which works in a different way).

Is it working? If not, do you use an effect chain? If yes, which ones?
kurinoku wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:05 am
It's TripleOscillator and AudioFileProcessor, the first one is the one that is making the most problems since 4 tracks have it in.
Are you sure the VU meter is not in the red ?