Automation editor questions

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Is there any way to do triplets in the automation editor?
Also, vertical lines when using linear progression or cubic hermite progression (curves and connected lines in automation editor) would be a nice thing to have/know how to do. Not sure if either is actually implemented but please let me know if there is a way to overcome these setbacks.
For the triplet, in the piano-roll, try the following quantisations (Q): 1/3, 1/6, 1/12, 1/24, 1/48 or 1/192.

For the second question, I'm not sure I understand, so I'm abstaining.
lazysheep wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Also, vertical lines when using linear progression or cubic hermite progression (curves and connected lines in automation editor) would be a nice thing to have/know how to do.
You are talking about grid-lines -right?
Could you take a screenshot from automation editor, and then draw what it is you feel is missing

D.Ipsum wrote: For the triplet, in the piano-roll
well he is actually asking for triplets in automation-editor AE, so what he ask for is a way to measure out triplet distance in AE.. I guess he plans changes of a curve, in triplet distances.
Could you tell us/ me, how many 1/12 does it take to build one triplet?
I have no formal musical training, i thought earlier, that the term triplet could be used for a note made out of 3 'normal' length segments
So a 1/16 triplet would be one note with the length of 3* 1/16 so 3/16 aso for other notes, but triplet i learned later is one note discrete on its own.
I have never had use of triplets, nor do i know why, but i can whisper a secret:
Triplets will be a new default length in next release :p (among others)
Unless a man with a sledge comes between... never knows..
Triplets are 3 notes in the time that 2 would normally take. So three 1/8 note triplets take the time that two normal 1/8th notes take. That's why you need the time divisions like 1/12, 1/24th etc. 1/12th is an 1/8th triplet (3 x 1/12th = 2 x 1/8th).

Used a lot in blues. Not so much in EDM though you do hear quite a few triplet arpeggios.

Steve
musikbear wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:54 pm
well he is actually asking for triplets in automation-editor AE, so what he ask for is a way to measure out triplet distance in AE.. I guess he plans changes of a curve, in triplet distances.
Could you tell us/ me, how many 1/12 does it take to build one triplet?
I have no formal musical training, i thought earlier, that the term triplet could be used for a note made out of 3 'normal' length segments
So a 1/16 triplet would be one note with the length of 3* 1/16 so 3/16 aso for other notes, but triplet i learned later is one note discrete on its own.
I have never had use of triplets, nor do i know why, but i can whisper a secret:
Triplets will be a new default length in next release :p (among others)
Unless a man with a sledge comes between... never knows..
Oops ...

My musical training is very basic ... self-taught.

In terms of duration, 1 measure = 1*(1/1) = 3*(1/3) = 6*(1/6) = 12*(1/12) = 24*(1/24) = 48*(1/48).
Caution, when setting 3*(1/3) note, use Q = 1/3.
Similarly, when placing 6*(1/6) note, use Q = 1/6.
Etc.

Whatever way to divide a measure, the duration of the measure is equal to itself.

In terms of triplets, 12 * (1/12) = 4*[3*(1/12)] = 4 triplets of 1/12th of note in 1 measure (caution : to place with Q=1/12).
It is also possible to replace the notes with silences of equal duration.

To answer the question of lazysheep, in the Automation Editor, the values of Q = 1/3, 1/6, 1/12, 1/24, 1/48 are missing.
To get closer, you have to use Q = 1/64 in the Automation Editor.

In the piano-roll, as 1*(1/3) = [21*(1/64) + 1*(1/192)] ... :cry:
In the automation editor, you need to calculate a bit to get you closer to the right value. :lol:

I hope I was not mistaken. :|

EDIT: I have not seen that slipstick published while I was writing.
slipstick wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:51 pm
Triplets are 3 notes in the time that 2 would normally take. So three 1/8 note triplets take the time that two normal 1/8th notes take.
Brilliant explained!
Then what i would do if i was to use triplets, is to make a dummy-selection on one note of constructed triplets with 0-velocity
Then set Q back to default 1/16, and the note-selector on 'last-note'
Then when ever i needed to use a triplet, i would just click on the dummies, hence 'pick it up', and then insert it where it is needed, and adjust its velocity. Thats only 2 extra clicks, each time a change from 'normal-length' to triplet-lenght
It's easy enough to just set the grid to 1/24th then 3 squares is a normal 1/8th note, 2 squares is an 1/8 triplet note (often written as 1/8T).

But you've already got triplets 1/32T, 1/16T, 1/8T, 1/4T and even 1/2T notes in the Piano Roll note dropdown. It's just that they're called 1/48, 1/24, 1/12, 1/6 and 1/3 to confuse you ;). However in the Automation editor the Quantise dropdown is missing all the right (divide by 3) values, which I think was the original complaint .

Steve
lazysheep wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:22 pm
Is there any way to do triplets in the automation editor?
Yes. This is implemented in 1.2.0 which is available as release candidate build. Check the downloads.
https://lmms.io/download/
slipstick wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:39 pm
to confuse you
that was a success..
You now have un-twined the mess - Thank You!