Running a VST effect through an instrument

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi

I'm new here and have had a quite scan about other topics but cant seem to find an answer to the question I have.

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to add a VST effect (distortion etc) to an individual instrument?
And if it is, how I'd go about doing it?

I can oinly seem to add pre existing effects that come with the software to an instrument at the moment.

I've got a few VST synths working but I'd like to run some VST effects through, for example, some drums but cant seem to see how to go about doing that.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
JoeBloggs wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:30 am
Hi

I'm new here
Welcome to the forum JoeBloggs! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
Could anyone tell me if it is possible to add a VST effect (distortion etc) to an individual instrument?
Yes that is absolutely possible, on win and linux, but not yet, on mac, but

first you need to check the path for the VST you have made in Setting
in
Menu | Edit| Settings|path
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... ings#Paths

Thats where you need to have the effects dlls!
Then you have 2 options, and because you want the effect on the instrument, you use the FX-tab on the instrument-UI:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=In ... The_FX_tab
Your new VST-effect should be listed together with all the shipped effects. Remember that lmms has this neat token-search, so its very easy to find anything.
Oo..kei...
That was all the goodies
Heres the grim reality..
If lmms has a weakness it is VSTs-effects.
You need to be absolutely sure that your VST works, so do the 5 step test:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Wo ... t_VST_test
Unfortunately, it is not many VST-effects that work
Awesome, many thanks!
You have had a good start when you have implemented support for VST. But in practice it does not work. I have many times been interested when will be fixed bugs with VST. What prevents to do the normal VST-support?
netmansky wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 am
have implemented support for VST. But in practice it does not work. I have many times been interested when will be fixed bugs with VST.
Can you be specific? What
support
are we talking about?
For VST-instruments, i access about 85% of VSTs works in lmms
For VST-effects, i access <15% of VSTs works in lmms
imo its only in respect to effects, that lmms has issues with VST
Ofcause its unsupported in MAC, not good, but thats architecture, and most VST are simply not build for it

What prevents to do the normal VST-support?
so explain further
@musikbear Don't nervouse please. :) I didn't want to hurt you. Umcaruje explained to me all troubles linked whith VST-support in Windows on Discord channell. I hope you will be able to solve this problem in stable version. Because right now, it really doesn't work.

Specifically: LMMS does not store the settings GVST in the project and every time I have to configure in the new. Secondly, on my computer with Windows 10 and 4 GB of RAM LMMS crashes after a short operation of any VST. The same Reaper pulls a dozen VST and not falling...

I understand we can not expect from a free product more than the developers can give. But I would love to LMMS a little better and more stable. Is it a crime? How to contact you, with flattery or is it better to speak truthfully? Well, there is a problem, and I write about it in language availabled for me. I'm not going to ruin LMMS, but you need to dig in the direction of supporting VST 2 version, at least. For soon the standards for the 3rd version will change. Reverse engineering is a good thing, but not reliable. After all, there are descriptions of the standard VST SDK. I could be wrong, but not as an end user of the product. And I sincerely wish success to the team of LMMS. Just try to understand our side too.