Output Voices keep changing to Grand Piano.

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I am using a Yamaha PSR-E443 with LMMS on Ubuntu 16.04. My first project with LMMS is putting together something I use as a song backing track using both a few tracks from a midi and ones I have recorded my self.

I like to play the sound through the keyboard because I think it sounds better for me. Besides everything plays correctly and is not out of wack if playing on the computer. The issue I am having is. Every time I turn the keyboard off and back on or say switch from Headphones to external speaker or basically re-open LMMS. My track voice sounds all except drums revert to Midi Voice 1 Grand Piano. That's even though the Midi Out numbers are correct.

The only way to fix this problem each time is to click on the Midi Out in each track voice for the SF2 player is to mouse click and roll the number forwards and backwards again to the correct number. Some tracks use the one channel and voice number. So only one needs to be changed for each. This is however very frustrating. I've tried to search Google for an answer and found nothing.

I was using the Omega sound font and just changed every thing over to Fluid synth. Even having that stored in the proper sound folders in Ubuntu instead of the LMMS folders. Noticed that has not fixed my issue.
LoungePlayer wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:05 am
My first project with LMMS
Welcome to the forum LoungePlayer! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480

This is an odd issue..
First let me see if i have grasped it..
You have an external Yamaha MIDI keyboard on Ubuntu, and that works.

I use as a song backing track using both a few tracks from a midi and ones I have recorded my self.
So you import a midi-song, and do some with that.
Then my first guess on the reset on SF2 to Grand-piano, is that the midi-file contain that information as hard-code.
You need to override that, global setting
* Right-click the 'V' shaped button right under the pink folder symbol
* Chose "Remove global automation"
Try this first, if it does not fix your issue, we ned to dig deeper
Thanks for the prompt reply Musicbear.

I started looking this morning before work. I did the clear automation thing for all tracks. Still didn't work. I'll keep looking and take any advice from here.

One example is. First tab says the sound font file and Marimba as the sound. That stays the same all the time even after turning the program and keyboard off and back on. On the Midi tab it will sometimes pick up the connection to the keyboard and some times no. When it is connected. Midi voice 13 will play the sound of the Grand Piano. This goes for all other tracks except drums will usually work correctly. This is where I have to roll the number back and forth.

I'd just point out that Yamaha does not do a midi driver for Ubuntu I don't think. Ubuntu uses Alsa Mixer. The project has to automation. I actually checked a couple of days ago to see if there was any notes in the program to set midi sounds. I also did a test with the original file which has automations and found nothing. Thanks I'll keep looking when I get home tonight.
Will try some more MIDI packs for Ubuntu tonight. One is a MIDI event manager. There maybe something in that may work with my issue. It's like there needs to be some code that needs to run every time I have my keyboard connected to laptop and I want to run a certain song through it from LMMS. The MIDI numbers from SF2 Player should automatically match the XGLITE numbers in Yamaha.
Hello.

I've been doing some research and I am still stumped on this. I checked if there was meant to be some Linux code I was meant to enter to get my Midi working properly. I followed a couple of Youtube videos and followed the advise and instructions for listing sound cards, midi devices change to a different Linux kernel that's meant to work better with media. I checked a couple midi apps. Tried different port connections. Still nothing works. I did find yesterday when looking for a way to convert an exported wav file to midi so then to load onto a USB as a song for my keyboard. People did have trouble in the past where converted multi-track songs of several instruments all came out as piano. I have also made a attempt to try a different program - Rosegarden. To see what result I got from that. Seriously can't understand how the hell to use that.

Here is a run down of my project.
  • Electric Piano2 x 2 tracks
    Grand Piano x 1 track
    Sound Track x 1 track
    Star Theme x 1 track
    Overdrive guitar x 3 tracks
    Marimba x 1 track
    Jazz Guitar x 1 track
    Clean Guitar x 1 track
    Power Drums1 x 3 tracks
    Fretless Bass x 1 track
Drums on channel 10
All others on different channels for different instrument types.
For example the three overdrive guitar tracks are all on the same channel.

An example for SF2 player for Electric Piano 2 says:

Name of sound font file.
Patch is 5 Legend EP 2
Midi output is Channel 2 Program 6

On the output device I have ticked 20:0 Digital Keyboard: Digital Keyboard Midi 1
I was able to confirm also that my computer did acknowledge this device as a Yamaha.

Other options for out put are:
  • 128:0 TiMidity:Timidity Port 0
    128:1 TiMidity:Timidity Port 1
    128:2 TiMidity:Timidity Port 2
    128:3 TiMidity:Timidity Port 3
    129:0 TiMidity:Timidity Port 0
    129:1 TiMidity:Timidity Port 1
    129:2 TiMidity:Timidity Port 2
    129:3 TiMidity:Timidity Port 3
    133:0 TiMidity:Timidity Port 0
    133:1 TiMidity:Timidity Port 1
    133:2 TiMidity:Timidity Port 2
    133:3 TiMidity:Timidity Port 3
    14:0 Midi Through-Midi Through Port-0
LoungePlayer wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:11 am
I've been doing some research and I am still stumped on this.
This is so strange that i need to see the project
upload the project, AS MMP! -and send me the link as PM (just right-click my name in byline and choose Contact musikBear), i will take a look at it. If you do not care about copyright, you can upload the project right here, as an attachment, that everyone can see..

To Save as MMP:
* Open project
* File | save-as
* chose a name... 'xyzzxy.mmp'
press save
You can upload on any file-host like google drive
I will ofcause respect your rights