Velocity Ramps

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
This is my first post.

LMMS looks to be a great piece of software, and it's free and open-source. :)

Unfortunately, I have one problem that's preventing me from getting really invested in the software. I cannot find a way to gradually increase/decrease velocity of selected notes like a crescendo/diminuendo. True, you can automate the volume knob, but that works to a percentage and isn't going well for me as I would find it much easier to automate velocity from a scale of 0-127.

Is there currently a way? Or must I wait for it to be implemented? Thank you for reading, and have a good day.
SunriseYellow wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:47 am
This is my first post.
Welcome to the forum SunriseYellow! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
I cannot find a way to gradually increase/decrease velocity of selected notes like a crescendo/diminuendo.
In EDM it is almost never volume that is increased in build-ups.
Instead you automate the filter cutoff and or resonance/ filter-satuation
The used filter is mostly LP in trance, and HP in techno
You can find several demos on this in the DEMO folder, and i will advice you to look through these files, because they illustrate how to achive these effects in lmms.
If you have a specific effect in mind find an example on youTube and add exact timestamps for where the wanted sound starts and less important -ends
Like @2:32 -> 2:55
musikbear wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:34 pm

In EDM it is almost never volume that is increased in build-ups.
Instead you automate the filter cutoff and or resonance/ filter-satuation
The used filter is mostly LP in trance, and HP in techno
Sorry, I do not understand. I'm not trying to create electronic dance music—heck, I had to look up what EDM even stands for—I'm using the Sf2 Player plugin. Also, I'm using 1.13 as 1.2 is still in beta.

I hoped LMMS let you change the velocity of notes on a scale of 0-127, as well as gradually increase/decrease the velocity of selected notes over a period of time; but it doesn't seem to have the feature unless I'm an idiot and missed something.

I'm really sorry if I came off as rude, but I waited hours for a reply.
I hope I understand you question correctly. :P
If you're speaking of changing the loudness, of each individual note then....

1) Open the piano roll. The piano roll, is where you make your melodies etc.

2) Look at the bottom of the piano roll, and you'll see, long green sick pin things located next to the word note volume.

Those green pin things, change the loudness and velocity, of each individual note.
Click on on one of the green pin things and drag it up or down.

If you drag it up, the green pin gets bright green and that means, that the note has gotten louder.
If you drag it down, the green pin gets dimmer, and that means, that the note has lower volume.

This lmms wiki page, teaches users, about the piano roll editor.
Scroll down and look for the part called Note Volume & Panning.
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Piano_Roll_Editor

I hope that helps.
Sorry if my post looks weird, I'm typing on my Galaxy tablet today. :)
brandystarbrite wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:03 pm
I hope I understand you question correctly. :P
If you're speaking of changing the velocity, of each individual note then....

1) Open the piano roll. The piano roll, is where you make your melodies etc.

2) Look at the bottom of the piano roll, and you'll see, long green sick pin things
located next to the word note volume.
Those things, change the loudness and velocity of each individual note.

This lmms wiki page, teaches users, about the piano roll editor.
Scroll down and look for the part called Note Volume & Panning.
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Piano_Roll_Editor

I hope that helps.
What I was hoping for was an option to bring up a window that asks what velocity you want the selected notes to begin and end on, and automatically ramp the selected notes—similar to how Ardour or MusE on Linux have a velocity ramp that works like that—or something similar. It's hard to explain, but I feel if I manually adjust the volume of each note I'll do it wrong, like, set a note to the wrong velocity.

Well, right now I have MuseScore to create music with crescendos, diminuendos and the like.

Thanks for trying to help.
As you have noticed, the velocity of the notes is displayed in %.
This % is relative to the volume of the instrument, which also appears in % (by default) or in dB (via LMMS configuration panel).

As far as I know, the option you are looking for is not available.

You're welcome!