Beats licences

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Sorry for posting here, I don't know if It's the correct place to do it
But I have a question, I heard lots of beats in the "Share" section, but all of them have "creative common" license
Are they free to use? Can I use them to make a song or are they copyrighted? I mean, must I pay to use them or can everybody just download them?
Thanks for reading
There are different types of Creative Commons license- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_license

All are copyrighted (so you can't claim them as your own) but can be used without payment, usually with some restrictions. Many on LSP are CC0 which mean you can do pretty much what you like. Some are BY which means you can use them but you should credit the original author or BY-NC which is similar but you can only use them non-commercially i.e. for stuff that you don't sell.

Steve
And if for some reason you're still not sure, try contacting the person/individual, who made the beat. :D

Also, welcome to the forums Gregorio. :)
And if for some reason you're still not sure, try contacting the person/individual, who made the beat. :D

Also, welcome to the forums Gregorio. :)
I think the best thing is to systematically contact the author of the material you want to use. In this way, everything is clear.

The only problem is the difficulty of contacting someone on the LSP ... :(
The CC license conditions are perfectly clear. Doesn't it seem possible that people use those clear definitions because they don't want to have to waste their time explaining things individually to everyone who might be interested in using their shared music?

Steve
Gregorio wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:52 pm
I heard lots of beats in the "Share" section, but all of them have "creative common" license
Are they free to use?
There are two things here.
1) the sample-files
2) the compositions (beats) made with the sample-files

You need to make sure that both of these are C0. In mpov you can only be sure that both 1+2 are C0 if it is stipulated in the actual file, like in the notes

Besides that, since you are new here Welcome to the forum Gregorio ! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
slipstick wrote: The CC license conditions are perfectly clear. Doesn't it seem possible that people use those clear definitions because they don't want to have to waste their time explaining things individually to everyone who might be interested in using their shared music?

Steve
You're right.