"Sustain" note - a headache

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
So I've always had problems on this (i5 7400, 8 gb ram ddr 4 at 2400 mhz) computer and my old laptop (low-powered mobile i5, 16 gb of similarly low-powered ram) when putting LMMS to the stresses of loading a couple sforzando libraries and such. What usually manifests as some popping - which I have searched the forums for but no dice - apparently can also manifest as some very weird errors.

Currently, my problem is thus: no matter what I do, there's one note that will be in a pseudo-sustain mode no matter what I do. I've tried rewriting the section, changing instruments, moving the whole section, adding notes before, installing the latest lmms build (which was bugged on install due to apparently trying to carry things over from the 1.1.3 version that I have installed - tried to have them both installed at the same time), but nothing fixed it. I've run into plenty of similar errors, but this is a very tenacious one. Additionally, maybe the information here is of some importance to you as this could appear to be a bug? I don't know.

What I have in the project right now:
  • 2 instances of Plogue Alter Ego
  • 1 instance of Plogue Sforzando
  • A few volume automations
  • Tested changing the defective instrument to the soundfont player, but that's now not in the project anymore
  • Some CPU spikes
Thanks in advance, you'd be doing me a great favor were you to help me with this.
Hello and welcome to the forums VeryConfused. :D

Okay:

How big are these sforzando libraries? 100 mb etc.
If the file size of these libraries are too large, there's the possibility, that that may be one
of the culprits, that could be causing the problems, you're experiencing.

Does the same problem occur, in projects, that don't use those plugins and sforando libraries?
Alter Ego etc?

"there's one note that will be in a pseudo-sustain mode no matter what I do"
A sustaining note? This is quite a strange one. :o
brandystarbrite wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:53 am
Hello and welcome to the forums VeryConfused. :D

Okay:

How big are these sforzando libraries? 100 mb etc.
If the file size of these libraries are too large, there's the possibility, that that may be one
of the culprits, that could be causing the problems, you're experiencing.

Does the same problem occur, in projects, that don't use those plugins and sforando libraries?
Alter Ego etc?

"there's one note that will be in a pseudo-sustain mode no matter what I do"
A sustaining note? This is quite a strange one. :o
Thanks!

In Virtual Playing Orchestra 2, instruments seem to be about 15 mb each. My alter/ego library (Marie Ork) is at a staggering 459 mb. The size of those libraries being played together could very well be the reason, although I've experienced the problem with only about 3 or 4 sforzando instances in the past, and additionally it sometimes appeared to happen after I did something like save while the song is playing. Oh well, that leaves the question of the "sustaining" note. It doesn't make much sense because the keyboard display of sforzando will actually show the note in question being held for apparently a set duration. So it's as if LMMS decides to send it that input based on something that happens somewhere in the project. I should've mentioned I have a tempo slowdown automation right before the defective input followed by another tempo automation that plays during the defective input.

EDIT: the problem went away as soon as I separated the tempo automations across 2 channels instead of one. Looking back, I've had issues like that before with the automations. I hope this might be useful to you.
VeryConfused wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:40 pm
EDIT: the problem went away

I read this as the problem has been solved?
Incedently, the fail you describe as 'sustain-note' is what we use to call a 'hanging-note' in lmms
That can happen if you make manual changes to deep settings in zasfx, ao most VSTs, the simple way to get 'out', is to press the same key one more :)

Besides that, since you are new here Welcome to the forum VeryConfused ! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
Hello there. The problem has been solved, yes. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out later,
VeryConfused wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:40 pm
Thanks!

EDIT: the problem went away as soon as I separated the tempo automations across 2 channels instead of one. Looking back, I've had issues like that before with the automations. I hope this might be useful to you.
Cool. Glad to see, you were able to solve the problem. :D
Also, don't forget musikbears trick, to solve the hanging note problem. :)

It seems that automations, sometimes seem to be the culprit, in alot of these strange cases.
Very interesting. :geek: