Issues with (tested) VST GUIs

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I'm having trouble with VST GUIs. When I load my project, all vsts that I use will open in seperate windows, and I can use them just fine. However, as soon as I open an instrument, all VST windows that are in the instruments effect chain will close, and I can't use the GUI that pops up when I click on 'Controls'.

Here's a video of me showcasing my problem: https://streamable.com/11oly

What you might not be able to see is that the (working) VST gui opens in its own window, it's no child window of LMMS.

LMMS Version 1.2.0-rc4.1 (Linux/x86_64, Qt 4.8.7, GCC 7.2.0)

wine-2.21

Window-manager is 'awesome' (I doubt it's the window managers fault).
Here's a video of me showing that the particular plugin I showed earlier really is working: https://streamable.com/gtqzt
righton wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:37 pm
When I load my project, all vsts that I use will open in seperate windows, and I can use them just fine.
Are you saying that when you load this project, ALL vst's in the project, will activate, and their own UIs will open, with no interaction of you?
That is not what should happen!
However, as soon as I open an instrument, all VST windows that are in the instruments effect chain will close
No, what i believe happens, is that the VST-UI is sent to the back, so it is still open behind song-editor.
Press the song-editor toggle-button, and i am next to sure, that your VST-UI is there.
and I can't use the GUI that pops up when I click on 'Controls'.
That could be because there already one open, but it is not a behaviour i like.
it's no child window of LMMS.
You should have a lmms-controll window. That is also where you can find list of VST options..
Window-manager is 'awesome' (I doubt it's the window managers fault).
Can you (or others) explain what Window-manager is. Is it a component in your linux, or is it something 3. party add-on, that you have installed?

This is so strange that i need to see the project
upload the project, AS MMPZ! Just attach it using the button below. That upload/ attachment, everyone can see, so just make a dummy, if you care about your composer rights. DO check it for the odd behaviour -Twice!

...buuut, Besides all that, since you are new here Welcome to the forum righton ! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
musikbear wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:30 pm
Are you saying that when you load this project, ALL vst's in the project, will activate, and their own UIs will open, with no interaction of you?
That is not what should happen!
Yes, that.
musikbear wrote:
No, what i believe happens, is that the VST-UI is sent to the back, so it is still open behind song-editor.
Press the song-editor toggle-button, and i am next to sure, that your VST-UI is there.
It really isn't, it's opening as a seperate window. In Windows, you'd have a new field in your taskbar saying '[VST name].dll'. I can move the window independently from LMMS, shown in this video: https://streamable.com/mgwrz
musikbear wrote:
Can you (or others) explain what Window-manager is. Is it a component in your linux, or is it something 3. party add-on, that you have installed?
It's how you choose what your Linux 'desktop' should look like. In Windows, you have the 'explorer.exe' that comes with the typical file browser, task bar, menus, it's how you configure everything you see outside of applications.

musikbear wrote:
...buuut, Besides all that, since you are new here Welcome to the forum righton ! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480

Let me try to figure out how to upload attachments..
This is a known bug. It should be fixed next release.

@ musicbear:

What happens is when you open a vst two windows are opened.

The vst gui and a window (border) in which the vst gui should be, but is not.

@ righton

I am on openSUSE and when I want to see the vst gui, I click on wine in my taskbar, and then select the vst.

Its there, but like musicbear said, its moved to the background.

On the bright side an old issues with synth1 on Linux is fixed now.
When you click a knob it no longer jumps to the max value. :)

@ Musicbear
Windows manager are kde, unity, gnome and allot more.
Its the part we users interact with, with our mouse.

Off topic.
Both windows and Linux have a kernel and stuff (the desktop) on top of it.

On windows both are called windows.
On Linux there is more of distinction between the two parts.

Officially only the kernel is called Linux, the stuff on top of the kernel, it is called kde gnome unity and such.
righton wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:50 pm
Let me try to figure out how to upload attachments..
Thats very easy. Just under your edit-area, you have Options and in blue Upload attachment. Just click there, and follow the instructuions.. Buut not this time. You do not need to upload, because this issue is Linux specific, and GPS has already explained the in's and out's of it
Gps wrote: What happens is when you open a vst two windows are opened.
The vst gui and a window (border) in which the vst gui should be, but is not.
Ooh i thought that fail was gone already. Is it different in respect to Linux distros?
@ Musicbear
Windows manager are kde, unity, gnome and allot more.
Aarh.. Eg the visual GUI of the linux-text-screen
Got it!
:)
musikbear wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Ooh i thought that fail was gone already. Is it different in respect to Linux distros?
Aarh.. Eg the visual GUI of the linux-text-screen
Got it!
:)
To start with the last part, yes the GUI. :)

The Gui of Ubuntu ( unity ?) , Mint (gnome ), openSUSE ( kde, gnome ) , Fedora ( kde ? ) , Arch is different, on top of the same Linux kernel.

About the first part.
As far as I know, we are still waiting for 1.1.2 for Linux.
( or there was some miscommunication between me and the devs )

I asked for the latest Linux version on discord. :)

The last RC 4 I compiled, still has this minor issue.

I have been testing a self installer for Linux though. :D
There will be a link added on the download page to this self installer for Linux, when its done.
You gotta love the lmms devs.

This should make installing the latest lmms on Linux as easy as it is on windows.