Connecting Piano to LMMS

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello,

So I have a piano/keyboard I want to connect to LMMS so I can play notes directly into the program. I bought MIDI to USB cables and have it connected. I briefly searched online on how to get it set up, but nothing has worked.

I think I read something about downloading a driver for the piano, its not as simple as plugging it in? (Clearly not, since its not working :mrgreen:) Or maybe its my computer? Not really sure, as you can probably tell I am a nooby.

The keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-275.

(Also, since its not a MIDI, it technically could not play any instrument through itself correct? or could it play the sounds already on the piano?)

Thank you so much in advance, it will be a big help!!!
Do you have a Windows computer? What version?

First thing - for recording the plug marked MIDI IN on your MIDI to USB cable must be plugged into the MIDI OUT socket on the keyboard.

Next - have you enabled MIDI in the PSR-275? It's a while since I've seen one of those but I think you need to switch PC Mode ON or Local Control OFF, something like that. It will be in the manual. You can tell when you've done it right because the keyboard no longer makes any sounds...it expects them to be done in the computer.

When you've done that you set it up in LMMS using the instructions in the Wiki https://lmms.io/documentation/Using_MIDI

If you still have problems let us know exactly where it fails and what happens.

Steve
Kaba wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:38 pm
(Also, since its not a MIDI, it technically could not play any instrument through itself correct? or could it play the sounds already on the piano?)
I read that, and thought 'an electric piano, so NO way' but luckily:

The PSR 275 is GM (General MIDI) compatible and this makes communication between it and other MIDI devices a breeze.

It is a midi :P

So it should be possible.
Read Ipsums link, thats how it should work in lmms. But you could have a flawed cable(?) -Can you connect other peripherals correctly through that cable. Visit a store, and have them use it for a connection.
The cable I have is strictly two midi cables (in and out) and a USB end. In the manual it states that I need a UX16 Interface in order for the connection to be successful. Does that make sense?

There is a "PC mode" button on the keyboard. I push it, but sound still comes from the keyboard. I assume its because its not actually connected to my laptop.

I thought it was as simple as buying a MIDI to USB cable and connecting it right into my laptop....guess I was sadly mistaken :mrgreen:
Kaba wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:38 pm
The cable I have is strictly two midi cables (in and out) and a USB end. In the manual it states that I need a UX16 Interface in order for the connection to be successful. Does that make sense?

I have used those generic MIDI-USB interfaces with many different keyboards including a few Yamaha ones and they always work provided you connect them the right way round. The Yamaha UX16 interface is the same thing but just more expensive.
Kaba wrote:
There is a "PC mode" button on the keyboard. I push it, but sound still comes from the keyboard. I assume its because its not actually connected to my laptop.
The instructions are on p58 of the manual I found online. You press the PC button AND THEN + or - . The display should say "[on] PC Mode". Does it?
Kaba wrote:
I thought it was as simple as buying a MIDI to USB cable and connecting it right into my laptop....guess I was sadly mistaken :mrgreen:
It's not exactly a lot more difficult than that. But sometimes it does help to read the instructions ;).

Steve
Whats up guys,

Thank you all so much for the help! I managed to get it connected to the program successfully. I truly appreciate your help!

Only issue is that some instruments/sounds have a hint of piano behind them; for example when I select the Ocarina, the sound comes out BUT there is a little piano sound under the ocarina. Any idea what this is/how to fix it? I am not sure if it happens to other sounds yet.

Thanks again !!!
What instrument are you using in LMMS? SF2 Player? What SF2 file are you using with it?

And if you record some notes does it still have the "hint of piano" when you play it back or do you only hear that when you're actually using the keyboard? If you turn the volume on the keyboard right down can you still hear it?

Steve