Renoise Redux VSTi on LMMS in Linux

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello, has anyone had any luck running Renoise Redux on LMMS using Linux? When I select the DLL file to open nothing at all appears to happen. The file selector goes away but there is no error message, and nothing is loaded in Vestige. I am running 64-bit elementary OS 0.4.1 Loki running the official LMMS AppImage 1.2.0-rc5 downloaded from the LMMS website. I tried installing LMMS from the package manager but there was no VST support in that version. I don't know if it matters, but I have no problems using the VST in Windows using the same version of LMMS for Windows. I have attempted to load it using all the options available for embedding of VST files with the same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Spiraleyes wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:48 am
Hello, has anyone had any luck running Renoise Redux on LMMS using Linux?
Samplers on LMMS in Linux is a big problem, but Redux should be one of the few that run. I tried the demo version in both, the windows VST and the linux VST on Ubuntu 16.04.

The windows VST using LMMS 1.2-RC5, VeSTige, Wine 3.0 starts and plays. Knobs can be controlled externally. Fine. But: Window size needs to be resized if you switch the modes (e. g., editor) and VeSTige can't do this yet (for the developers!!!). Thus, the windows VST can't be used seriously yet.

The other option is the linux VST. Linux VSTs are not supported by LMMS yet (what a shame :-(). But it is on the agenda (as well as LV2 ?). But there is a way to use them anyway using the carla LMMS plugin. You can get carla via kxstudios.

The linux VST via carla patchbay works fine, only the knobs can't be controlled externally as this feature is not supported by carla.

An other sampler that works on LMMS using carla is Bliss. For windows VSTs, very often the version of Wine is the bottleneck. By updation this windows not-emulator ;-) you can get many windows VSTs running. But, the only sampler I got fully running as windows VST in Linux even with wine 3.0 was shortcircuit.
Spiraleyes wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:48 am
Hello,
Welcome to the forum Spiraleyes !
You will get a PM today, with all you need to know about our forum :) Please read!

Great info you got there from @Son of a Pitch
I am however a bit unsure if you have had any success with VSTs ?
If not -Do try if VST works at all
Download MDA-Piano http://mda.smartelectronix.com/synths.htm
It is very small in size, and you can just copy it to your folder. -Eg NO installation! Further its a quite good piano-instrument, so it is a win win
Hello. I downloaded that piano VST and it functions perfectly. I might add that VST synths I have from Image-Line have the same problem as redux does. I noticed the previous poster was mentioning Wine 3.0, while I was still using 1.6 from the repositories so I went to the wine website and upgraded to 3.0 successfully but I am still having the problem of no reaction when I load redux or any Image-Line VST instruments.
Spiraleyes wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:43 am
Hello. I downloaded that piano VST and it functions perfectly.
Good! cause that proves your setup supports VST.
VST synths I have from Image-Line have the same problem as redux does

Have you bought the image-line VSTs? Those from testpacks are protected, and will not work. I know of some that say they can use Massive legal version. Since you are using AppImage 1.2.0-rc5, i fear that the Renois as well as the ones from image-line (?) has to go into red-list
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Te ... o_NOT_work
VSTs are complicated. It would be interesting to hear, if anyone else has had success with Renois on either win or linux
Make sure you're using the 32-bit VSTs on Linux. The 64-bit VSTs won't work yet on Linux.
musikbear wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:41 am
It would be interesting to hear, if anyone else has had success with Renois on either win or linux
As mentioned, it runs on my computer but it is not usable as VST in the direct way due to vestige or wine is not able to resize the Renoise window (in contrast to the linuxVST version using Carla). See screenshot: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=679 ... 3144570332

But still, there is a way to use it as VST. The setup option (tool symbol) in the Redux window offers in the GUI setup to unmark "always start in the compact mode" (and maybe unmar GUI effects). Safe lmms file, restart lmms and the file and the GUI shows up in full size and you can easily switch between the modes. See screenshot: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=001 ... 2640524856

Tricky, not user friendly, but it seems to work. At least in my case.

System: Intel T7500, Ubuntu 16.04, LMMS 1.2-RC5, Wine 3.0
I wasn't aware I had to use 32 bit plugins. It turns out the Image-Line one's do infact work with LMMS 1.2-rc5 and Wine 3.0 using the 32 bit DLL files, but no luck with redux. Maybe it's just one of those that don't work for most people.