Using external MIDI input and output.

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I'm trying to accept MIDI input from an external MIDI keyboard and use an external MIDI synth at the same time.

This works fine when I'm outputting to MIDI channel 1, but when I attempt to switch to a different output channel, I can play notes on the new channel using the little graphical keyboard, and if I play notes on my MIDI keyboard they're displayed on the little graphical keyboard, and even recorded, but they're not forwarded to my MIDI synth so I don't actually hear them like they are when I'm outputting to channel 1. Using aseqdump I can see that LMMS is generating no MIDI events at all when this happens.

This seems like a bug, but I'm new to LMMS so I'm not sure there isn't something I need to change somewhere.
Hi!

It works for me here. Are you using the latest lmms-1.2 beta? (rc5)
Yes, I just downloaded it from git tonight. 1.2.0-rc5.276
What OS/version?
What is your MIDI interface? (Edit -> Settings -> MIDI Settings)
What external synth are you connecting to?
zonkmachine wrote: What OS/version?
Linux version 4.4.0-116-lowlatency (buildd@lgw01-amd64-021) (gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) ) #140-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 12 22:41:05 UTC 2018

zonkmachine wrote: What is your MIDI interface? (Edit -> Settings -> MIDI Settings)
ALSA Sequencer

zonkmachine wrote: What external synth are you connecting to?
Some thing I got from eBay, but I tested it with aseqdump too (it's an ALSA tool that displays any MIDI events that are sent to it) and there just aren't any MIDI events being sent to it when this happens.
Moosfet wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:57 am
Yes, I just downloaded it from git tonight. 1.2.0-rc5.276
So, this is on master right? Can you try the stable-1.2 branch?

Edit: The master branch reads out as rc5 too, but if you haven't checked out stable-1.2 specifically, master it is and that's the absolute latest and may be unstable. I don't know of any changes related to midi on that branch recently.
The version I have is whatever this downloaded for me:

git clone --recurse-submodules -b master https://github.com/lmms/lmms

I can try another version tomorrow if it'll help, but I don't think this is a recent problem. I also have 1.1.3 from my distribution, and it behaves exactly the same way. Can you give me a git command that will download whatever version you want me to try?

Suspecting that this may be related to the fact that my MIDI keyboard sends the notes on channel 1, I plugged in a different keyboard which I can configure to send notes on any channel. Sure enough, as long as the MIDI channel the notes are received on matches the channel LMMS is configured to send them to, then they are passed along. The problem only occurs when they're different channels.

However, it does behave differently than the channel setting for the MIDI input, in that if I enable that setting, LMMS completely ignores notes on other channels: It doesn't indicate received data by flashing that rectangle beside the volume control, it doesn't display the notes on the virtual keyboard, and it doesn't record them. With this problem, it does all of that just as it should, the only thing it doesn't do is send the notes out to my MIDI synth when it receives them.
Moosfet wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:27 am
The version I have
git clone --recurse-submodules -b master https://github.com/lmms/lmms
Try the AppImage:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/releases/d ... 4.AppImage

Besides that, since you are new here-
Welcome to the forum Moosfet !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
Wow, that could have saved me a lot of trouble if I hadn't assumed "AppImage" was something for OSX. That was the first thing the web site tried to give me, but I assumed it had mis-identified my OS and so I downloaded the source instead.

Anyway, that version does the same thing as the other versions.
musikbear wrote: Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
That link doesn't work.
Moosfet wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 pm
That link doesn't work.
Just tried it right now, and it works in windows w. firefox. Do you get an error message from... (?) Safari (or..)