Midi settings wont save - Ubuntu

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I've been trying to figure this one out for a few days now, with no solution.

I can turn on LMMS, assign functions/keys to my midi controller, but whenever I unplug the controller, and plug it back in, all the settings are lost.

Is there something I'm missing? I drives me crazy! I can't reprogram my controller every time I'd like to play.

Bits of info...
Acer Laptop
Ubuntu 17.10
LMMS 1.1.3
Akai MPK249 controller

Additional info:
The volume and FX functions lock up whenever this happens.
No record of any other people having this issue found.
If I keep the controller plugged in and close the program then restart it, it keeps the settings - only when I unplug, and happens every time..
ASLA set in settings, tried to hook up jack, but it doesn't show up under midi in settings? (don't know if this is relevant)

Anyone have any ideas? Its not supposed to do this right?
I'm willing to try drastic things to make this work.
dndiy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:20 am
LMMS 1.1.3
Could you try this
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/releases/d ... 4.AppImage

I would very much like to hear if it is solved in the RC, so please report back weather or not you get success

Besides that, since you are new here-
Welcome to the forum dndiy !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
Slick new interface!
I've never used an appimage either. I made it executable and LMMS 1.2.0 fired right up.

Midi doesn't seem to work though. I hover my mouse over the midi option and there is a checkbox that doesn't seem to do anything. No option for any midi channels (in the previous version it would give options). Its a different style of issue. I changed settings from ASLA to jack with no success, no feature visible in the program saying midi. Midi channel on instrument directly also doesn't seem to do anything.
Okay.

So I sort of figured this one out. Its not ideal...but its saving the settings.

I ended up dumping the Qjackctl interface and used the Cadence interface instead. (in the kxstudio packages)

In LMMS 1.2.0 - I was able to set both the audio and MIDI interface to 'Jack'
In Cadence with the Jack, ALSA, and MIDI servers working, I used the 'Catia' tool to input the midi controller into LMMS.

And it worked!...until you unplug the MIDI controller....Then it forgets the settings.
If you plug the controller back in, you can redo the settings in Cadence...and LMMS will reconnect with the MIDI Controller and all the settings are still there.

Its not exactly plug and play, but a few buttons in Cadence is better than the 40+ keys on on the controller... and you can have different files saved for different controller setups.

Whew.
dndiy wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:57 am
So I sort of figured this one out. Its not ideal...but its saving the settings.
I ended up dumping the Qjackctl interface and used the Cadence interface instead. (in the kxstudio packages)
Smart!
In LMMS 1.2.0 - I was able to set both the audio and MIDI interface to 'Jack'
In Cadence with the Jack, ALSA, and MIDI servers working, I used the 'Catia' tool to input the midi controller into LMMS.
Fine!
And it worked!...until you unplug the MIDI controller....Then it forgets the settings.
If you plug the controller back in, you can redo the settings in Cadence...and LMMS will reconnect with the MIDI Controller and all the settings are still there.
..ok -sortoff

Need to be looked at still. Thanks for the report!
So an unfortunate update on the LMMS midi front.

The next day I booted up my computer and discovered my sound didn't work at all...several hours before I had a live concert.
The volume was stuck on permanent mute... and no audio devices showing in settings.
With some work, you could start the jack server, and it would get sound to play from the speakers....but no sound would come out of any of the audio ports.

I called in several people who were much more experienced in these matters, and no one could figure it out. Our best guess was a conflict between ALSA, Pulse Audio, and JACK...and support on the internet is sparse.

I ended up borrowing a Windows machine. My midi controller plugged into it and worked like magic.

I'm now going nuclear and reinstalling the operating system.

So yeah, doesn't work anymore.

- Written from a windows machine.
dndiy wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:22 am
So an unfortunate update on the LMMS midi front.
Ratz.. 8(
I'm now going nuclear and reinstalling the operating system.
It would be great to know if a reinstall of linux fixes the issue. The AppImage should pretty much work!
That at least is what we are wishing..
Reality is something different..

Ofcause its is the openness of linux, that is the gravel in the gear-box. So many different unknowns are part of the whole linux concept
From an suse user, try the appimage.

I have been compiling LMMS myself, and I would advice against it, unless you don't have any other option.
( Or want to help the lmms devs. )

LMMS is not a simple program, especially on Linux were you have pulse audio on alsa, and in youre case also jack.

The appimage won't solve the midi setting issue though. I have an m-audio keystation mini 32, and it does work in lmms.
If I unplug it though all settings are lost.

I love Linux, and every problem can be solved, but as a user, how much time do we want to spend on fixing stuff?
Update on the MIDI issue:

For my operating system, there was some issues with a software package called KXSTUDIO that doesn't play well with my hardware. I ended up getting rid of Ubuntu and swichting to Ubuntu Studio and no longer use the package that was controlling jack. More updates on this when I get something going.

I am currently doing my work from LMMS 1.2.0 and it does fine, but the MIDI settings problem persists. I've looked for other programs and solutions for a plug and play solution for a MIDI controller on Linux, but I can't seem to find anything, so it seems like something that's just not available yet.

I'm reprograming my controller every time I plug it in.