Signal from a track to another

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi all :D

Firstly, let me express the honor this newb here feels in joining such a community. The amount and sophistication of the musical output of many of its members is astonishing, it'd be felicific to attain if but a fraction of it within my lifetime. In the interim, I wish to glean from your expertise.

So, there's this short (2min) vid on YT where a free little VST called audiotomidi is used (inside Cubase) to turn voice, real-time, into a virtual instrument (basically, what happens is this post's title).

In LMMS 1.1.3, I let the TripleOscillator be the default instrument, added a segment to the track, and loaded VeSTige with the plugin. I'll spare you the pathetic details of what transpired next. Suffice to say that I tinkered with just about every setting that seems pertinent (MIDI tabs in TO and VeSTige, etc), to no avail.

Can somebody be so kind as to walk me thru - like I was 9 - the exact steps that you would take to get this plugin working? (It's quite possible that it doesn't work with LMMS - despite the promising fact that it successfully loads in VeSTige - but I wanna make sure there's no silly little step that I missed.)

PS "audiotomidi" doesn't appear as MIDI input option anywhere in the program. Perhaps what's needed is a software solution like loopMIDI?

Thanks!
shady wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:21 pm
Hi all
Hi, Welcome to the forum shady !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
Can somebody be so kind as to walk me

Wont be me :| - I dont own a midi-kb, so i have NO insight in connections through channels at all. Believe you somehow connect the plugin to your midi-kb, and the kb will then 'learn' events through the plugin, but how ... idk

I do know a bit about lmms, though
Perhaps my LMMS rookie-guide can interest you? Link in signature.
Thanks for the reply, dear musikbear.

Interestingly, the last LMMS tut I've watched, not 48 hrs ago, was by you. Certainly you know a 'bit' about LMMS. ;)

Neither do I own a MIDI KB, but I've an upright piano, and a synth, which I play casually, by ear (I've a serviceable grasp of music theory, tho).

But I sing superbly (I need some of your humility, musikbear!). Moreover, there're all these symphonies screaming in my head to be composed, so I'm seeking a means to 'midify' my voice (there's a program called imitone, but from its forum posts, it seems to be fiddly. I don't expect any voice-to-MIDI solution to be impeccable, given the complexity of human voice, but the developer doesn't provide a demo version, and paying for an app just to determine how fiddly it is sounds foolish :/).
shady wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:09 am
I'm seeking a means to 'midify' my voice
All i know about wave2midi is that they do not work well.
I have looked at several, vut they are ..lousy
No doubt some high-end commercial plugin, propl exists, that could do 'something', and its exactly as you say
paying for an app just to determine how fiddly it is sounds foolish

What i came up with, some time ago, was this:
https://youtu.be/1LN9jivwRhs
It 'works', but for me, only to a 'speed-limit'

(tnx for your kind words:)
shady wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:21 pm
Perhaps what's needed is a software solution like loopMIDI?
Yes. You can use loopMIDI with VSTHost to accomplish audio-to-MIDI in LMMS.
Sawuare wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:44 am
Yes. You can use loopMIDI with VSTHost to accomplish audio-to-MIDI in LMMS.
I think many would appreciate, if you wrote a tutorial for that.
As a matter of fact, I did install loopMIDI, and designated it as the MIDI Input for the TripleOscillator track, and as the MIDI Output for VeSTige (loaded with the audiotomidi plugin).

Lo and behold, TO receives notes from VeSTige...played on the keys in VeSTige window, not from my voice thru the mic! :(

BTW, there're already plenty of tuts on YT about VSTHost...but I don't think it does anything that LMMS can't (its node-base interface is neat, tho).