USB Troubleshooting Guide?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I've stepped myself through the MIDI documentation: https://lmms.io/documentation/Using_MIDI. But can't seem to get my Williams Allegro piano hooked up to LMMS via a Fore HiFing USB MIDI connector (using Ubuntu 18.04). I've searched the forums and google and most answers point back to the MIDI documentation. I am totally new to this.

I've selected ALSA-Sequencer in the MIDI Settings and restarted LMMS.
I've plugged in the MIDI cables and USB cable to both keyboard and laptop.
I've powered on my keyboard, set it to Local Off (From the Allegro manual: Turning the Local On/Off function to “Off ” will disconnect the keyboard from the internal sound engine of the piano. The Allegro may then be used as a MIDI controller to control other MIDI devices or virtual instrument software running on a computer, without playing the sounds on the piano.)
I've launched LMMS, found the TripleOscilator, enabled MIDI and selected the USB MIDI Interface: MIDI Interface USB 1.

From the youtube videos I've watched, I expect to be able to hear notes when I play keys on the keyboard. Not happening. If I use my mouse to click keys in the virtual keyboard I hear notes.

What am I doing wrong, are there more in depth troubleshooting steps?

EDIT: I've also verified that the USB connection is recognized by the OS.
Could be the key velocity. Make sure the Allegro sends key velocity. If velocity is turned off you need to either dive into the settings of the piano or try the velocity settings on the MIDI tab of the lmms instrument pluggin.
zonkmachine wrote: Could be the key velocity. Make sure the Allegro sends key velocity. If velocity is turned off you need to either dive into the settings of the piano or try the velocity settings on the MIDI tab of the lmms instrument pluggin.
According to the Allegro owners manual, velocity is transmitted and recognized. I've also stepped through each channel while connected to no avail.
OK. What version of LMMS are you using? If you haven't already updated to the latest beta release of lmms-1.2 (currently rc6), I think you should do precisely that. https://lmms.io/download/#linux
zonkmachine wrote: OK. What version of LMMS are you using? If you haven't already updated to the latest beta release of lmms-1.2 (currently rc6), I think you should do precisely that. https://lmms.io/download/#linux
Version 1.1.3 (Linux/x86_64 QT 4.8.7, GCC 6.2.1 20161215) I tried 1.2 and had the same issue.

If I cat my sound cards file, I see the USB interface. Is there a linux command I can try to send/receive with the keyboard?

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
HDA Intel HDMI at 0xc2610000 irq 34
1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xc2614000 irq 33
2 [Interface ]: USB-Audio - USB MIDI Interface
USB MIDI Interface at usb-0000:00:14.0-4, full speed

$ aconnect -i -o
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
0 'Timer '
1 'Announce '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]