Base note: A = whatever

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Linux Mint 17.3
LMMS 1.2.0-rc6

As I understand it the base note indicator sits above A4 and pressing this key should produce A=440 but I don't have that, it varies with the instrument. Haven't tried them all but the only one I've found that does this is trumpet, other examples are:
Triple Oscillator A=110
Flute A=880
Harpsichord C=261.6
Piano C=130.8

Obviously I have to discover what note is actually being produced and move the indicator accordingly, am I missing something?
With INSTRUMENTS like Triple Osc the base note will be an A. It may be an octave or two away from 440Hz (like 110Hz) but it will be an A.

I'm guessing that the other things you describe are SAMPLES not instruments. And for a sample the base note in AFP will play whatever note the sample was originally recorded at. LMMS has no control over the sample recording.

Steve
To be pedantic they're the "instruments" from the samples menu included in LMMS, your explanation makes sense but I wouldn't have known if you hadn't told me, I'd have thought that A=440 would apply to anything. Thanks.
In LMMS you have an Instrument menu containing instruments and a Samples menu which contains samples. What you were describing was samples played using the Audio File Processor instrument. And in that instrument the base note just means "Play the sample exactly as is" while the other note positions speed it up or slow it down to change its pitch.

But of course you are at liberty to call things whatever you like, provided you don't mind people sometimes not understanding what you're going on about.

Steve
Not sure I understand the last paragraph myself, just that LMMS documentation says
the green (actually white) mark just above the keys shows the 'base note' of the keyboard. Whichever note you select with this orange (?) mark will be played as A4 - i.e. the concert pitch of 440 Hertz.
The default marker is indeed above A4 regardless of instrument/sample but of course as described doesn't always produce A=440. Not a problem as long as you're aware of it.
londrioca wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:25 am
Linux Mint 17.3
LMMS 1.2.0-rc6

As I understand it the base note indicator sits above A4 and pressing this key should produce A=440 but I don't have that, it varies with the instrument. Haven't tried them all but the only one I've found that does this is trumpet, other examples are:
Triple Oscillator A=110
Flute A=880
Harpsichord C=261.6
Piano C=130.8

Obviously I have to discover what note is actually being produced and move the indicator accordingly, am I missing something?
By default the base-note of TripleOscillator is A, but remember that :
- Osc1 = A4 (or CRS=0)
- Osc2 = A3 (or CRS = -12 semitones)
- Osc3 = A2 (or CRS = -24 semitones)
Lets for the clarification add the chapter in wiki,
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=In ... #Base_note
and the picture of 1.1.3 base-note Image
Here it is green. Moving it, is equivalent to using a different scale.
The unexpected symptom is that built in samples are all recorded in C but AFP's default base note is A. It will be the root of many confusions.

[edit]
Sorry for the bump but it is relevant still.
siavoshkc wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:40 pm
The unexpected symptom is that built in samples are all recorded in C but AFP's default base note is A. It will be the root of many confusions.

[edit]
It is an industry standard. You will find that every DAW uses A the same way.
It has origin to instruments in classical chamber music-ensembles, and it is simply a general convention.
musikbear wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:05 pm
siavoshkc wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:40 pm

[edit]
It is an industry standard. You will find that every DAW uses A the same way.
It has origin to instruments in classical chamber music-ensembles, and it is simply a general convention.
So why the shipped samples are all in C?