Is LMMS right for me?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Let me start by apologizing, as I'm new to the forum and I'm sure this is in the wrong spot.

I come from a punk background, having played bass and drums at a live capacity, but I know very little about mixing audio and DAWs seem a bit overwhelming to me.

The kind folks at Reddit mentioned LMMS isn't very good for using live instrumentation, but didn't much explain why. My goal would be to go a synth/VST heavy direction, but record drums, bass and vocals on an old Tascam Portastudio, and mix those tracks in LMMS while adding the synth layers. But is this possible? Do people use LMMS for mixing?

Thanks in advance!
You can't record audio directly into LMMS.

You Can however record with audacity, and then import those files into the audio file processor.
Gps wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:03 pm
You can't record audio directly into LMMS.

You Can however record with audacity, and then import those files into the audio file processor.
Well the intention of the Portastudio is to record the live instrumentation (and vocals) completely DAWless. So no need for Audacity, I'm just wondering if I'll have a hard time if I import individual tracks into LMMS as WAV files and add effects/mix/sync them as well as add synth/VST tracks
I know a program that can do that, I am not sure if lmms is suited for that. Ardour.

You can import wav files into LMMS, but cant sync them as far as I know.

I do not know ardour well enough though, to be sure ardour can do this.
leland.kirk wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:31 pm
Let me start by apologizing, as I'm new to the forum and I'm sure this is in the wrong spot.
No its perfectly fine :)
LMMS isn't very good for using live instrumentation,
That is correct!
LMMS is not a live performance program. There are several reasons, but the very UI is not suited, and there are also some crackl artefacts, when blocks are being moved around. Large wave-block movement, can crash LMMS.
Downstream these problems will be addressed, because live-performance is sought off, by several. It is however not scheduled at all, and i would be surprised, if live-performance will be focused in current architecture. A new core is simply needed. ..So pop in 6-10 years from now :D

Do i know, and can i recommend a DAW for live performance? No not really. I believe Garage-Band is aimed at live-performance, but not sure. Visit http://www.kvraudio.com/ and see what those good peps says :)
..So pop in 6-10 years from now :D
Ha, will do!
Do i know, and can i recommend a DAW for live performance? No not really. I believe Garage-Band is aimed at live-performance, but not sure. Visit http://www.kvraudio.com/ and see what those good peps says :)
Thanks, I appreciate it! There seems to be a wealth of information over there!