using Just Intonation with LMMS

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi y'all -

The subject says my question, pretty much straight up. Is it possible to use Just Intonation or microtonal scales natively within LMMS?

Without going into excessive detail, this means using scales that are not based on the standard 12 tone equal temperament. So while MIDI note numbers can be used as a passable encoding of a scale, the usual MIDI note number to frequency conversion will be totally wrong.

TIA
elgynkvk wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:58 pm
Hi y'all -
Apparently, ZynAddSubFX allows it, but overall, LMMS is not designed in that direction.

You're welcome!
elgynkvk wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:58 pm
Hi y'all -
Hi, Welcome to the Forum elgynkvk !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

Is it possible to use Just Intonation or microtonal scales natively
'Kindof', but only with one native gnerator, the ZynAddSubFX

You need to dig deep into the UI, to get to the microtonal settings, and afair, the settings will not save as an LMMS preset, you need to save as a ZynAddSubFX file!
I think the right way is to find a VST with microtonal capacity
Just confirming, yes you can use JI scales (or any other kind of tuning) by loading scala files within ZASF. Earlier versions had some issues saving/loading settings correctly but overall I've had good experiences with recent builds.

From Carla rack you can load other plugins as well. For example amsynth is a nice little open source synth that also supports scala files.