Hydrogen and LMMS

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Is there a way to expose the LMMS mixer to hydrogen outputs?
What is a hydrogen output?
mrthraz wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:52 pm
Is there a way to expose the LMMS mixer to hydrogen outputs?
I believe there is a way in linux, where hydrogen outputs goes through JACK and lmms, but its beyond my area of confidence :p
Most inc. me, uses the hydrogen samples directly in lmms, and only that.
Can hydrogen export midi?
Then you can import that midi to lmms
Maby a linux wizard chimes in, and has more on the subject..
I have imported the hydrogen samples into lmms, most easy way.

Musicbear just mentioned Jack.

I tried jack ones on openSUSE and gave up fast, but that could / should work.

When it comes to jack, I am far from an expert.

It seems we should not use pulse audio ( with LMMS on Linux) , but jack. Although I understand the less lag arguments, pulse audio just works, and is much more user friendly.

The Linux musicians forum is a good place to ask about jack.
thanks for your reply's. my problem is the lack of swing in LMMS so importing the drum kits won't help.

i just wind up sequencing my drums and chops in hydrogen and then exporting the stems for further sequencing and mixing in LMMS.

it will have to do till LMMS gets a more robust sample sequencing method and some sort of swing automation.

till then i'll just use these two together.
mrthraz wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:23 pm
it will have to do till LMMS gets a more robust sample sequencing method and some sort of swing automation.
It is simle to make swing by hand, in LMMS. Just open the percussion in piano-roll, set Q to highest value, and move the notes appropriately, to your needs.
Automated swing does not give any real 'human-touch'
i love LMMS but it needs Automated swing..

if i want humanization i can just play with the quantize off or dial in humanization in hydrogen

but a lot of times i need it tight with some swing.

i'm not about to go through 5 steps in the piano roll when i can just dial in swing in
hydrogen or on my Roland SP's.

it's no big deal to me, Linux Audio is modular and if LMMS doen't give me what i need
i can always mix and match with something else but i am hoping that one day i will open
a new version of LMMS and find a swing dialog or dial and a new native plugin to help with
phrase samples. Until then I'll keep using LMMS in tandem with the Hydrogen Drum Machine.

just found out i can use Carla to open whole apps in LMMS as plug. opening hydrogen in LMMS and a plugin is a dream, it works for mixxx too, it makes lmms so much more useful for me.

lmms does not support jack transport, but if you run the apps inside carla, the transport info is provided while inside.

finally hydrogen and lmms in sync, the caveat is that only lmms can control time, hydrogen cannot.
only goes one way.

I still can't expose the hydrogen individual outs (TX) to the LMMS Mixer, just the two main outs. but its super useful now as a sample sequencer in lmms as long as you have Shuriken to turn your samples into hydrogen drum kits and as long as i can side chain the the kick i'm cool with mixing the drums in hydrogen.

another good thing about hydrogen being controlled by LMMS. LMMS has no swing, hydrogen does...and the hydrogen swing and humanize works even when being fed midi by LMMS. getting a good groove is possible in LMMS now!

If you understand the theory about swing, moving a few notes shouldn't be a big deal, so I agree with musikbear on this one.

However, I also understand that it's fun to do a slider and find out how much swing you need that way. The latter technique, however, comes off sounding a bit uniform... the swing is the same for all notes (from my experience with Reaper's Megababy).

If you do it by hand, you can get a more irregular swing. It's not just humanizing. It's an intentional, irregular swing (just like a real drummer might do). Ideally, we would have a continuous ("grid off") midi function in LMMS as we have in Reaper. But I find that 1/192 is okay.

I'm going to explore Hydrogen and swing in LMMS, because I appreciate that both methods are useful, depending on your needs. I may need to ask a few questions if I can't figure out Carla. The patchbay baffles me a bit but I have used Carla to get Surge VST3 in LMMS (Ubuntu).
newsguy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:46 pm
If you understand the theory about swing, moving a few notes shouldn't be a big deal, so I agree with musikbear on this one.

However, I also understand that it's fun to do a slider and find out how much swing you need that way. The latter technique, however, comes off sounding a bit uniform... the swing is the same for all notes (from my experience with Reaper's Megababy).

If you do it by hand, you can get a more irregular swing. It's not just humanizing. It's an intentional, irregular swing (just like a real drummer might do). Ideally, we would have a continuous ("grid off") midi function in LMMS as we have in Reaper. But I find that 1/192 is okay.

I'm going to explore Hydrogen and swing in LMMS, because I appreciate that both methods are useful, depending on your needs. I may need to ask a few questions if I can't figure out Carla. The patchbay baffles me a bit but I have used Carla to get Surge VST3 in LMMS (Ubuntu).

well, let me know and i'll give you any advice i can.