Music Ideas

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
:/ I am having trouble with Ideas with my music. I ran out of ideas on where to place notes, what instruments I should add etc...

Could someone please help me?
weatherman06 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:16 pm
:/
Maybe this topic can help you: https://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28477

Otherwise, here are some more answers:

1) As far as I am concerned, the use of template projects has allowed me to make good progress. The principle is easy : you put in all the necessary instruments to produce a track : some kicks, some snares, some bass, etc. You can also prepare effects channels in the mixer, for example one or two channels with reverb, other channels with special effects (phaser, echo, etc.), etc. When you open a template (e.g. template1.mmpz), just save it as a new name before using it. As I only use LMMS synths, I can put a lot of synths in my templates, they are well filled, they are not heavy,they load quickly. Advantage: You do not spend three hours looking for cool sounds when you start a new project.

A way to prepare a template: you open your old projects, you select the instruments you like, and you import them into your template. The only difficulty is to choose instruments that go well together. Later, you will be able to modify your existing templates.

2) When you start a project, or when you do not know what to do in an existing project, you can choose to focus on one of the following axes: rhythm, melody, harmony, timbre, effects . An example: if you do not know what to do, if you have no idea for the development of your melody, you can choose to continue your track by working the rhythm, by modifying the existing rhythm, or by introducing a new one. rhythm, etc. Another example, if you have nothing after the measure 32, experiment something with the effects, what would happen if you finish the measure 32 by adding at that time a big reverb (or other effect)? This could help you to find new ideas for the rest of the project. Etc.
weatherman06 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:16 pm
:/ I am having trouble with Ideas with my music. I ran out of ideas on where to place notes, what instruments I should add etc...

Could someone please help me?
What I sometimes do, is press and play around with the piano keys/notes.
Until I accidently make a melody, that sounds nice. Then if I hear something
I like, I then try to recreate the melody, in the piano roll.