No sound under Ubuntu ( 9.10 , LMMS 0.4.5 )

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 with LMMS 0.4.5 from the repositories. I get no sound output with any output driver selected (and yes I restarted it). I've tried to build from source but the tarball and git pulls are both missing files and fail to build. I assume if I can build a debug version or the current revision it would help find the source of this problem. Hints appreciated.

Code: Select all

desktop@desktop:~/Desktop/lmms/lmms$ sudo make install
[sudo] password for desktop: 
[  0%] Built target bin2res
[  0%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/lmms.dir/src/gui/fluiq/workspace.o
/home/desktop/Desktop/lmms/lmms/src/gui/fluiq/workspace.cpp:63:35: error: fluiq/moc_workspace.cxx: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/lmms.dir/src/gui/fluiq/workspace.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/lmms.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
I've upgraded my Ubuntu from 9.04 to 9.10.
Now I also don't get any sound output with LMMS 0.4.5.
Furthermore the following happens:
- the menu is white
- 100% CPU usage
- SEGFAULT on exit
- sleeping lmms-process after lmms is closed

This happens with both, the ubuntu lmms-package and
the lmms that I've compiled from source. (I've got no errors during the build.)
I've experienced this behavior on my desktop computer and on my laptop.
Under 9.04 everything was just fine. So much for the 'upgrade'!

Shall I bother the mailing list or is this a known problem?
alf42red, I have the exact same problem here with ubuntu studio 9.10.
I found I can use lmms with the alsa audio interface if I specify "hw:1,0" instead of "default" for the device, but then I get many sound glitches. It use to work very well on jaunty.
I'm curious, do you have a usb sound card? I'm wondering if this problem is really related to ubuntu karmic because I haven't seen many people complaining about lmms not working. We can't be the only users who have upgraded to karmic. I'm wondering if it could be a problem related to our specific hardware / driver... :?:
Hi mordark, my laptop is a Fujitsu Lifebook T5010.
Here's the specification from fujitsu.com: t5010
My desktop computer has got a mainboard from gigabyte: ga-ep45-ds3r
So it's always an Intel something45-chipset with a "Realtek Audio Codec".
Unfortunetly I haven't got a sound card so I always use the on-board stuff.

The sound glitches that you've mentioned occur on my machines when I choose OSS instead of alsa.
The only way I can get rid of the sound glitches is by using a real-time kernel. Lmms seem to work very well with the real-time kernel provided with ubuntu studio 9.10 (2.6.31-9-rt). It used to work with the generic kernel on jaunty though. I guess it might have something to do with the new generic kernel provided with ubuntu 9.10... :?:
I'm sure you guys already switched off Ubuntu's default sound servers, but just to be even more sure: did you check for any rogue instances of pulseaudio or jackd (lsof /dev/snd/*)? Otherwise I'd have to agree it seems to be kernel related. A direct alsa connection to hw:1,0 shouldn't be more laggy than it used to.. It could be laggy by definition, for instance when your soundcard misses some hardware implementations for which it uses the CPU - but then LMMS should always have been laggy.

Just my 2 notes, good luck!
yes I did try to switch off pulseaudio and lmms is still laggy with a direct alsa connection to hw:1,0. The only way I get good performance is by using the rt-kernel.
Problem is fixed with the new LMMS v0.4.6 :)
Thank you!