Re: Using External Audio Clips

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi,

Total newbie here.

I have 2 audio samples which I created from tracks using Virtual DJ in .wav format and which are 30 secs each.
If I add these samples straight into song editor I can't really use them as I can't get them to continually loop, there's a slight gap.

What is the correct way of manipulating these samples to use as an instrument?

I hope this makes sense?

Thanks.
StefiNomlas wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:05 am
Hi,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum StefiNomlas !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
add samples to song editor : : I can't get them to continually loop
I believe this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCTaCs_8j2M
is what you want?
way manipulating these samples to use as an instrument?
But that one is tough!
Im afraid you here want to change the samples oscillations -Eg creating several different outputs like A C G etc.
That is horrible difficult atm, im afraid!
First you need to resample each sample in a new key. You can do that in f.i. audacity, but atm LMMS does not have a multi-sampler :( -Sp you need one sc. AudioFileProcessor -AFP
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=AudioFileProcessor
for each note or sample!
Some Linux users have managed to use Grace, as a multi-sampler, i may add, but atm playing samples as instrument, is really cumbersome
Thanks musikbear, I'll take a look.

If I can get the samples I've already created working properly, then I'll be a happy chappy :D

I won't worry about trying to create instruments from them.
StefiNomlas wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:05 am
Hi,
Hi!

As musikbear says, you can use the Sample Track.

You can also use the AudioFIleProcessor:

- In the Plugin tab, you have the option to activate the "activate loop" option (icon representing a loop). But as your sample lasts 30 seconds, it would mean having one or more 30-second long notes in the piano-roll (it's visually long), or a single note whose length is a multiple of 30 (which is visually very very long ...). As an alternative to Piaon-Roll, you can use the step sequencer of the BBEditor, but it is not practical to visually manage the length of the sample.

- In the Plugin tab, you can also play with the parameter "end marker" (my LMMS is in French, so I'm not sure it's the correct translation) to adjust the length of your sample (e.g. to remove a end silence if there is one).

The advantage of the AudioFileProcessor is that it can be assigned to a mixer channel (+ series of options available to process the sample). This is not the case of the Sample Track. The advantage of the Sample Track is especially visual (if you only want to read a sample).

You can try these two tools to see which one suits you best.
Hi,

I took on board all your comments which were very helpful, so thanks.

I've been getting to grips with the 'Sample track' and found it very powerful. What I would like to know is what is the ideal length of a standard sample so it fits into a bar 4/4? I also have some vocal samples that span more than 2 bars.

Is there some kind of format to doing this?

Thanks.
It all depends on what BPM (Beats Per Minute) your song runs at. The time length of a beat (quarter note) is 60 divided by the BPM in seconds and there are (usually) 4 beats per bar. So at 120BPM each bar lasts 60/120 x 4 = 2 seconds, at 90BPM each bar is 90/120 x 4 = 3 seconds etc.

So unless all your songs are made at exactly the same BPM there's not really a standard ideal time for a sample.

Steve
StefiNomlas wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:24 pm
what is the ideal length of a standard sample so it fits into a bar 4/4?
See there is none "ideal length". That would depend on tempi, so first thing is the set the BPM you like for your track, and then LMMS can do a rather spectacular trick!
See it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCTaCs_8j2M
Thanks Steve.

Hey Musikbear.

I have watched your YouTube video on this and this is how I found that you could use samples in this way.
I tried this and it does seem to work, however what I've found with longer samples, is that once you've adjusted it to fit, it keeps playing the sample on the next blank slot until it finishes. Not sure if this really matters though and probably only happens on longer samples.

Thanks.
StefiNomlas wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:16 am
once you've adjusted it to fit, it keeps playing the sample on the next blank slot until it finishes. :: probably only happens on longer samples.
Yes it does, and no it is not only longer samples.
Initiating replay of a wave file, or even a loooong note, is a finite event. It means that this event will continue, until it is manually terminated with a stop-of-all, signal.
This happens if you hit space, or press the stop button
Moving the playhead is not a terminating signal, so the ongoing event will continue.