MIDI export problem

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
ACYDE Music wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:50 pm
recorded the whole track into one midi track.
Only one track! Ok - i (sluggishly) understand -You have your musicians piano-part ALONE, with no other instruments, only the piano, and that track does have velocity data, for the piano.
These velocity data are lost in the import of the MIDI-file, that was created on a pro-MIDI-kb.

-But then i want to get back to what you wrote :
I think anvil handles the MIDI exactly like FL Studio :/
I clicked on "Properties" on several notes in the midi and they all showed up "Note Volume: 100"
So neither Anvil, FLs or indeed LMMS can import the velocity-data?
That could indicate, that your file has an 'odd' structure, something speciel for the pro-MIDI-kb..

What i would do, in your case, is to ask your musician if his MIDI-kb can export in one of the standards for midi
MIDI0 is the simplest, but im not sure it has velocity data.... 8|
I believe Anvil uses MIDI2 as standard export, but that you can find in Anvil documentation.
I will do some import experiment with midi exported from Anvil, to precisely get an understanding of the capacity for LMMS to import velocity. That must be perfect!
ACYDE Music wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:41 pm
Btw, merry christmas!
musikbear wrote: Merry Christmas!
Aye! Merry Christmas to ACYDE Music and musikbear! 8-) :mrgreen:
I have made experiments with Anvil-midi notes importing, and they imports perfectly! This means that your @ACYDE Music musician, must have exported in a non-midi standard! (awful many exists!)
Ask him to export in MIDI-2 standard
musikbear wrote: I have made experiments with Anvil-midi notes importing, and they imports perfectly! This means that your @ACYDE Music musician, must have exported in a non-midi standard! (awful many exists!)
Ask him to export in MIDI-2 standard
I don't understand what you mean by MIDI 2?
I recorded the MIDI INSIDE lmms and exported it. Then it showed up this velocity bug.
What should I do?
ACYDE Music wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:14 pm
MIDI-2 is the most used MIDI-standard
I recorded the MIDI INSIDE lmms and exported it.
That confuses me again, because you told me:
But the pianist and me recorded the whole track into one midi track. So this is the original MIDI recorded on a big MIDI keyboard.
But in fact:
You exported the project FROM lmms -and that does not have any velocity-data

Where does the "big MIDI keyboard" come in? Did you take the LMMS-exported-midi file and imported THAT file TO the "big MIDI keyboard" -and THERE saw that the velocity data was missing?

So far i have test-result that shows:
* ANVIL-exported MIDI2 is imported by LMMS correctly and with velocity
* MIDI exported from LMMS is flawed! Track information is missing

BUT
Now i have done this:
a) Export a track FROM LMMS
b) Import that track TO Anvil
c) Save track in anvil as standard (MIDI-2)
* Import THAT track into LMMS
THAT import has preserved velocity data! (but only one track with all in a mess)

This whole saga is really confusing! I simply cant understand why you do not have velocity-data, when i can go through that procedure, and STILL have velocity data

So if you do a..c you should have velocity-data... idk.. :|
musikbear wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:30 pm
ACYDE Music wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:14 pm
MIDI-2 is the most used MIDI-standard
I recorded the MIDI INSIDE lmms and exported it.
That confuses me again, because you told me:
But the pianist and me recorded the whole track into one midi track. So this is the original MIDI recorded on a big MIDI keyboard.
But in fact:
You exported the project FROM lmms -and that does not have any velocity-data

Where does the "big MIDI keyboard" come in? Did you take the LMMS-exported-midi file and imported THAT file TO the "big MIDI keyboard" -and THERE saw that the velocity data was missing?

So far i have test-result that shows:
* ANVIL-exported MIDI2 is imported by LMMS correctly and with velocity
* MIDI exported from LMMS is flawed! Track information is missing

BUT
Now i have done this:
a) Export a track FROM LMMS
b) Import that track TO Anvil
c) Save track in anvil as standard (MIDI-2)
* Import THAT track into LMMS
THAT import has preserved velocity data! (but only one track with all in a mess)

This whole saga is really confusing! I simply cant understand why you do not have velocity-data, when i can go through that procedure, and STILL have velocity data

So if you do a..c you should have velocity-data... idk.. :|
Oh, sorry for confusing you about the recording. I recorded the track from a big MIDI keyboard to LMMS. So I recorded the MIDI inside LMMS.

Thanks for your finding, I'll try that out, the "MIDI mess" isn't a problem for me, it's just a piano track :)

I will inform you if that worked for me.

Best regards and a happy new year in advance!
One question:
How do I export the MIDI track as "MIDI-2"?
ACYDE Music wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:39 pm
One question:
How do I export the MIDI track as "MIDI-2"?
In Anvil?
afaik it is the default export option. You also have an option for exporting as MIDI0, and you could try that too

LMMS only export in midi2
Well, I tried your Fix but it won't change anyhting. I exported the MIDI from LMMS and imported it into Anvil.
Then I clicked "Save song as..." and saved it. I exported it back into LMMS and the velocities are cut off at 100%.

I don't know what causes this, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

By the way, all the best in 2019 and a happy new year!
ACYDE Music wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 pm
I exported it back into LMMS and the velocities are cut off at 100%.
Have you tried if Anvil can see any velocity differences? If you right click notes inside Anvil, and chose Properties, does the notes have differences in Note-volume?
Happy new year!