It Won't Record My MIDI

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I am using the triple synth with church organ. Nothing else. Everything else muted.

Neither record button works. Not the one on the song editor nor the one on the piano roll.

I have MIDI in/out set for my keyrig 49 on both the triple synth and the organ preset.

Previous times I've recorded fine.

But I don't use it much at all. Either I've forgotten how to do it or the setup is somehow corrupt.

Can anyone help with how I can figure out which it is?

:)
abrogard wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:14 pm
Previous times I've recorded fine.
Ok, so something has gone wrong with your installation. Lets dissect :

*) Have you tried to shut everything down including pc and keyrig 49 -reopen everything and redo in a new project?
*) Can you 'record' if you use your PC-keyboard?
*) Does sound come out of the preset, if you hit a key on your keyrig49 ?
Hi, thanks for coming to my assistance.

I've tried the shutting down a couple of times. It doesn't help. I shut down LMMS and then switch off the keyrig and then shutdown the computer.

Then bring up the computer, then switch on the keyrig then the LMMS.

Yes, the presets make a sound. Everything works fine - except record.

Does it record from keyboard? I don't quite understand. Do you mean does the pc record in any other way? I can't say. Haven't got a mic at the moment. I'm looking for one.

:)

p.s. I think the LMMS install may be at fault. I'll reinstall. Because I used the church organ preset on a new project for testing and it came up as church organ 2 which might be okay but the sound was all wrong. It had some loud metallic clanging thing in it, absolutely not church organ.
Did it again, deleted that track and did it again and this time it's okay. Well that's lmms behaviour, isn't it?
So I'll reinstall.

What about this recording? I'm trying the song editor record button and the piano roll record button but really I only need to try the piano roll don't I? It should work on it?

And the piano roll keeps asking me to select a pattern. That really means select a track that's been recorded doesn't it? And, of course, there's nothing there to select. I wonder why it asks me? It assumes I'm looking to play back a track?
abrogard wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:05 pm
Does it record from keyboard? I don't quite understand.
Well the thing is, that the word 'record' is wrong.
Currently LMMS does not record at all!
LMMS captures note-events, so it will create a midi-note in the pitch and length of the input, from either PC-keyboard, or a MIDI-keybord.
This takes place in Piano-roll:
We have 2 'record'-buttons:
The circular will capture notes without making simultaneous replay
The circular with triangle will capture notes with simultaneous replay
I have made a couple of videos that show how to capture notes :
This one i think you could use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFy8tipBbB8

Bottom line is, that 'record' in LMMS means note-capture

..Maby i better make a tutorial on that subject alone...
ah, I see. I'm in the process of unloading and reinstalling. I didn't see your response till now. So I'll try inputting notes from the keyboard when i get it up again. i just had another thought - should i have an old version of lmms? because i'm using a winXP machine for this. that's because the keyrig doesn't work reliably on win10. does that make any difference?

well i reinstalled: version 1.1.3 32 bit and the situation is the same. I cannot 'record'. Not with the pc keyboard either.

Your video was very interesting but it is far too advanced for what I am trying to do isn't it? I don't want to play back and I don't want to edit - I just simply want to 'record', input a note and see it get stored there.

The most simple level.

I believe it should work if I simply switch the prog on, make a new project, enable midi in and out and press piano roll 'record' button. Right?

Messing around I find:
. I can input 'notes' with the mouse. Clicking on the piano roll will make a note.
. Somehow - I don't know how - I got a short segment of recorded stuff on the church organ track. I can't make it longer and I can't make another one. Every note i input with the mouse goes into that segment. I can see it.

NEWSFLASH: I'VE GOT IT GOING !!!!

Damned if I know how I did it but it's working. Very crappily, stumbles over itself, gets all congested or something, can't handle the input - though the cpu usage doesn't go full on red. But I'll learn to work within what it'll do.

Would like to tone down or switch off the noise of that metronome though... found a thread somewhere that said there'd be a release that allowed that - we haven't reached that release yet?

Lots I don't understand yet. This 'note lock' thing for instance.
Here is a lot of different thing, but i will try to go through them one by one

abrogard wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:27 pm
i have an old version of lmms? because i'm using a winXP machine for this.
LMMS RC7 will run fine on XP

i reinstalled: version 1.1.3 32 bit
1.1.3 cant run on win10
Your video is far too advanced for what I am trying to
Yes, i will make a basic 'note-capture' video. You are not alone in being confused about 'recording' in LMMS
I can input 'notes' with the mouse. Clicking on the piano roll will make a note.
Ok that is ofcause absolutely basic functionality
it's working. Very crappily, stumbles over itself, gets all congested
That could be a buffer-issue. What settings have you chosen on the Buffer: Edit ´| Settings: first tab?
like to tone down or switch off the noise of that metronome though...
Just disable metronome. It is not mandatory for notecapture in 1.1.3 afair (it was in earlier versions)
'note lock' thing I don't understand
The note chosen here is the note that you will insert, with the next press of your mouse. So if you set the note-lock to half-note, every mouse-press will create a half-note.
For note capture, you should set note-lock to 'Last-note'. That will insure that it is your actual keypress, that determine the length of the inputted note.
Thank you for that.

You are one of the programmers, I think. Perhaps even the original one? Or part of the original group?

I have to commend you all for your effort and thank you for the prog. It is a beauty.

You need programmers you say. I would like to help but doubt very much that I can. I did a mere 5 years of database programming before I got sidelined into customer support, helpdesking, lan support, that kind of thing. And all that was years ago.

So why do I bother mentioning it? Well sometimes there's very low grade help required. There's a faint chance I could help a bit.

regards,

ab :)
abrogard wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:55 pm
You need programmers you say. :: sometimes there's very low grade help required. There's a faint chance I could help a bit.
You are absolutely most welcome to assist the project in any way you feel like you can! The real active devs are hanging out on discord, (of witch im not -i am more like the 'nerdy helpdesk-guy' :) and maby there is something your skills would be perfect for :)
You can read all about participating and even how to get your own repository, the methods for creating and submitting patches and the Master commits, Here:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki

Project lead is Tres Finocchiaro He is the one to contact if you have special questions or run into some difficulties with the gitHub system.
https://github.com/tresf

Thank for showing interest in helping LMMS :D

Here is btw the video tutorial on note-capture
https://youtu.be/I8N7YUuxZHA