How to not distort melody and tone in a sample?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
There's this sample I took and put through effects. After I did, I played around in the piano roll so that the sample played through a bunch of different pitches. After that, I heard this wondrous melody, but it was too quiet. I tried turning it up, but all it did was distort and clip. I tried eqing, but no luck. I want to be able to keep the same melody and tone but still turn it up. This is slightly frustrating because I REALLY want to use this, but it's just too damn distorted.
Try to add the 'fast lookahead limiter' effect on it.
the black ryvius wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:34 pm
There's this sample I took and put through effects. After I did, I played around in the piano roll so that the sample played through a bunch of different pitches. After that, I heard this wondrous melody, but it was too quiet. I tried turning it up, but all it did was distort and clip. I tried eqing, but no luck. I want to be able to keep the same melody and tone but still turn it up. This is slightly frustrating because I REALLY want to use this, but it's just too damn distorted.
BaraMGB gave some good advice above. How did it go for you?
It worked a little bit, but I don't know. The project is still there, but as with most project that end up sounding a little out of whack, I've left it be for about a couple weeks. Really the sample is still kinda quiet and I think my problems stem from a little eqing that I had did prior to the fast look ahead limiter. I might link a copy of the project later to show you what I mean.