Downloading General MIDI soundfont?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I'm trying to add some plug-in's/instruments to LMMS but when I try to import them this message comes up: ' You have not set up a default soundfont in the settings dialogue (edit->settings). Therefore no sound will be played back after importing this MIDI file. You should download a General MIDI Soundfont, specify it in settings dialogue and try again. ' :shock:

Then I click OK and this message comes up: ' Couldn't find a filter for importing file (name of file). You should convert this file in to another format supported by LMMS using another software ' :o

I'm a bit lost with this. Anyone know what I should do to import other instruments,effects etc...?
yes. when you import a midi lmms will need at soundfont to insert on all the various instruments defined in the midi. The absolute best one is the 'general-user-soundfont' whitch kind of emulates the whole midi lib -eg all instruments.
In order to get LMMS to embed it corectly you need to set the path
Download the soundfont
virus-scan it and check the checksum!
unpack it to the soundfont folder in your lmms installation
copy the path to your clipboard
Open lmms
go to
Edit | Settings | Paths
the last option is the 'Default soundfont'
copy the path (or use the handy 'search-option-button'
Pres OK, and you should be good to go
Unfourtunately some users have problems saving the file and path settings. This isue will be delt with, and hopefully it dont affect you.
Br.
Thanks for the help.

I downloaded a GeneralUser soundfont but windows won't open it. something to do with it being a sfArk file I think.

Any ideas?

(why can't they make things simple!)
sfArk is a special way to compress (zip) soundfonts
Here
http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/sfark-to-sf2.html
should be able to decompress to ordinary sf.
I have NO expirince with this software and are in no way associated to it in any way.
Use on your own discression

------------------------
I found one in zip format
http://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php
remember to scan for vira

Br.
Thanks Musikbear.

It's much appreciated :D