SAVED PROGRESS is GONE after reopening project

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Sorry if the title is a little bit shouty, but I'm about to smash my computer because I worked really hard on this. After I saved my work (I saved it multiple times, actually), all my work is gone. When I try to close the reopened project, LMMS notifies me that I have unsaved work (even though I didn't modify anything after the data-loss) and I can click save, discard or cancel. I clicked discard, reopened the project again (everything is still gone), tried to close it and the same thing happens. To me, this looks like LMMS did actually save it, but just doesn't show it. I used a third-party VST called Helm, and loaded some presets on it. The sounds of this instrument are not reset however. I also tried opening the .bak file, but everything was exactly the same, even the "you have unsaved changes"-message whenever I close it.

EDIT: I think I've ruined it all now, because I accidentally saved my changes. Help is still appreciated, but I think it's better to just redraw the melody from my own memory and continue with my project. If you guys could give me advice what to do in case this will ever happen again, I would really appreciate that.

Thanks in advance!
qjnr wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:31 pm
all my work is gone.
::
click save, discard or cancel. I clicked discard,
::
I think I've ruined it all now, because I accidentally saved my changes.
Oh no ...
You may have managed to destroy BOTH backup files!
LMMS has 2 backup systems
1) automatic sequential backup, that creates an auto-backup-file
2) Manual backup, that will create a penultimate .BAK file, every time you save manually.
You disabled the sequential backup when you choose 'Discard', and you MAY have ruined the BAK-file, if you made an additional manual saving of the project

Worse case scenario
What a shame, but try this:
* Shut LMMS down
* Use your file-browser and find a file named <nameOfTheProject>.mmpz.BAK
* right-click the file and choose Open
If you hav done what you wrote, the file should now open -Eg. You should NOT get the warning:
" click save, discard or cancel "
That option is gone after you choose 'Discard'
HOWEVER!!!
IF you DO get the warning
" click save, discard or cancel "
Choose Cancel!
We want to see what content the BAK-file perhaps has... (but i fear it is empty)

If there is content, immediately use File| Save-as, and save your project BAK with A NEW NAME!!!
N O T the previous name!

But i am not optimistic -Sorry
..Besides all this, i must ask you what version of LMMS you have installed, and what OS you have. I fear you have an outdated LMMS-version.

Since you are new in Forum
Welcome qjnr !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
Thanks for the reply, but... yeah... I've already ruined it. Like I said in my edit, I remade it from my own memory. Luckily, I still had the melody in my head.

Also, I'm saving multiple copies of my project everytime from now on, just in case something goes wrong again.

Anyway, my OS is Windows and I'm using LMMS version 1.2.0 rc8.
Sad news about your project.
qjnr wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:16 pm
OS is Windows and I'm using LMMS version 1.2.0 rc8.
Then you got everything right :)