Synth interface "center note"

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I searched (both google and the forum) but nothing seemed relevant:

Problem: the BB editor can only play the "center note" of a synth. Some synths (by which I mean "synth presets"), especially percussion ones, don't make ANY sound at all on the default Center Note of... (checks) A5. So one has to shift the Center Note. Shift it up and the note played goes down. Move the Center Note from A to B and it'll play G (the "piano key" that used to be A before you moved the Center Note).

This is very confusing to me. Is there a reason it was done this way, rather than just having the "Center Note" selector be simply the "play this note" selector?
Failte200 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:49 am
Some "synth percussion-presets" don't make ANY sound on the default Center Note of... (checks) A5
(?) witch one would that be?
Are you talking about a VST (witch) -or presets in LMMS?
Well, for instance the "drums-kit1" in zasfx. But there are lots of other presets where clicking on the preset-name (of the preset-list) produces no sound, or maybe just "click". One has to add it to a song-editor and fire up the interface to find out which octaves it actually makes noise on.

The drums-kit1 may be a special case - it's obviously a whole collection of sounds contained in a single preset somehow (I suspect voodoo). But they're all down around C3. I only discovered them by accident... The set-up is handy for doing percussion in the piano-roll (except that its toms are way too quiet); in the BBeditor not so much.

I wonder if I'm just missing something, like a preference setting maybe. I'm still very new to LMMS. And making Music in general.

And I'm talking about the presets that come with LMMS RC8 (further info: Linux Mint AppPack version) only. My god, there are so many sounds already available, + all the samples, all of which can be tweaked if desired... I kind of don't get why people want to bring in other synths. Although I do wish Yoshimi was available... but I hear it's just another version of zasfx at heart.
Failte200 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:39 pm
The drums-kit1 may be a special case -
Yes'! That preset relates to the midi-table!
The instruments are bound to midi-notes, so if you import a midi-file, it should 'fit' with the percussion selected by the midi-file-composer.
That preset is not comparable to any other (except drumkits in SF's)
I wonder if I'm just missing something, like a preference setting maybe.
No, only that this specific preset is bound to midi-installation, but you will get different results if you move the base-note.
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=In ... #Base_note
Percussion-kits are the only preset, where it can be part of the creative proces, to move the base-note

There are no other preset that is silent in A5 -right?
musikbear wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:30 pm

There are no other preset that is silent in A5 -right?
Well, here: lemme just make a short list. It's not that rare (for me):

Watsyn - ArpWhisper nothing by clicking on the preset in the list. However, once I opened up the interface and turned OFF the "LowPass" filter in the Envelope Filter & LFO tab, which is apparently on by default, then it made noise. That particular preset also has 3-octave arpeggio turned on by default, which seems odd...

But other than that, I couldn't find ANY presets that didn't make a sound. I swear I've had it happen before... maybe it's because I just rebooted my machine or something. Of course I didn't check every single preset (because dayum!) but I checked a whole bunch. I'm sure I normally would have run across a few any other time. I'll just experiment more next time it happens.
Failte200 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:17 am
Watsyn - ArpWhisper nothing by clicking on the preset in the list.
That not a factory-preset. Must be one you have from LSP or an other source, i cant test it.
One reason could be, that it has a FX-plugin, that results in a resonance peak, and that can block output. If you like me to test, you need to upload the preset :)