How to change quickly between instruments when using MIDI?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello everyone,

This is more of a workflow-related question but I hope someone can help me out with this.

So the situation is this: When I'm working on a track in LMMS, I tend to switch between different MIDI instruments a lot (record a bass part here, add some piano chords there, and so on).

If I need to disable MIDI input on the current instrument and switch to a different one, I usually click on the on the gear/cogwheel symbol, then select MIDI -> Input > [my midi keyboard]. Then repeat the same steps on the instrument I want to switch to.

Doing this once (or twice) doesn't take that long, but it quickly adds up and really disrupts my workflow.

I was experimenting with setting all the instruments up to use specific MIDI channels and switch between them by selecting the appropriate MIDI channel on my keyboard, but that whole process takes almost longer, because it involves going into a settings menu, then a submenu, then selecting the channel, confirming selection [...].

I was wondering if there's a way to handle this easier and more quickly - like a keyboard shortcut to only enable MIDI input on the currently selected instrument track or something along these lines,

Any help would be very much appreciated! I love using LMMS but this issue really slows down any work I do with it.

- Jan
Jott wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 am
If I need to disable MIDI input on the current instrument and switch to a different one, I usually click on the on the gear/cogwheel symbol, then select MIDI -> Input > [my midi keyboard]. Then repeat the same steps on the instrument I want to switch to.
I'm sorry. That is the only way. Its in the 'list', but not scheduled
Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess I'll just have to get faster at changing midi channels on my keyboard then.

Cheers!
@musicbear do you know an issue on github that file this problem? It is something that annoying me a long time. I want to add some features that would help here.
BaraMGB wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:18 am
issue on github that file this problem? :: I want to add some features that would help here.
At first glance it looks that its one of yours that comes at least near this issue
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/1731
But i doubt we have a real pin-pointing of easy switching for MIDI-out-channel.
Since i dont own any MIDI-HW, i dont think i can 'express' the issue in a good way. I think you should write a new ticket, and suggest how that feature should be, at best.
No, this is an other issue. I'll have a look.