CPU in the RED wierd sounds hissing

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
So, all was good until earlier today when I allowed my laptop to update its Windows 10 to the latest version (august i presume).

Now whenever I open a LMMS project to work on, the CPU jumps in the red (before update was always at mostly 10%). Not only that but it starts lagging in some sections of my projects, weird sounds pop up, a weird hissing, and I cant work anymore with LMMS.

Ive openned Task Manager to check on the CPU usage, but its fine there.. under 8% usage from LMMS, while inside the program CPU is in the red.

What can I do, please help me figure this one out?
mihuflorin wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:47 pm
What can I do, please help me figure this one out?
Aua.. Not much i am afraid, if it is an auto-update that has caused it! But thats where i get a bit uncertain .. IF indeed this is caused by a winUpdate, this forum would be crowded with help-requests, and you seams to be alone with this..
Could you please check if your Settings are correct for your sound-devise. As windows-user, you should use the SDL-backend!
Let us know the outcome :) - and post your LMMS-version if you still have issues
Yes, thats the default setting SDL in Audio Settings. Like I said.. i worked fine for months with default install settings. but now CPU spikes really bad... and I cant work.

Asus ROG gaming laptop with 8GB RAM + win10 64-bit + lmms 1.2.0

something conflicts betweeen what Win10 changed during last update and LMMS default install settings / code.

I also noticed in the Task Manager some wierd remote activity of some of the VST plugins i installed weeks ago. Could that be it? Asking for bandwith or for resources in the cloud?
Yep, thats the issue... ive turned off all of the VST plugins i have in the Master channel for mastering the track.. and with all VSTs turned off the track playback flows smoothly.

Im guessing Windows 10 update breaks VSTs compatibility, hence the spike in CPU usage
mihuflorin wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:42 pm
I also noticed in the Task Manager some wierd remote activity of some of the VST plugins i installed weeks ago. Could that be it? Asking for bandwith or for resources in the cloud?
Yes! that could definitively be the reason! What are the names of those VSTs?
It would be a good thing to know, so other could be warned against installing that!

Be careful with installing just any VST on your system. Search the net, and read what other says about the VST. Some are not really what the pretend to be.
I would de-install everything that attempt to use the net! VSTs has absolutely no legit reason for doing that! That behaviour resembles malware! Get rid of them, and hope you get your performance back.
I am having the same issue with both LMMS 1.3.0-alpha.1.33 and LMMS 1.2.2 without any VST plugins loaded. It's enough to just open LMMS and CPU is most of the time in the red, causing the sound distortion and/or skipped notes, even with a simple triple oscillator track.

I am running Windows 10 version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1316) on a very high-end machine (Lenovo ThinkStation P920) - in Task Manager, overall CPU utilization is 2-3%.

Not sure how to solve the problem - LMMS is no longer usable :(

There is an open issue on GitHub (https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/4788) but it is, too, VST-plugin specific.

I am also configured to use SDL (this is the default).
davidair wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:04 am
LMMS 1.2.2 without any VST plugins loaded. It's enough to just open LMMS and CPU is most of the time in the red
First i need you to open projects\demos\Greippi - Krem Kaakkuja (SecondFlight Remix).mmpz
Does that also show huge cpu-load?
If so-
Have you tried to restart your computer?
Power it completely off!
Since you have a labtop, you should clear cache
Retry projects\demos\Greippi - Krem Kaakkuja (SecondFlight Remix).mmpz

Have you chosen the setting to load last opened project?
Disable that. If the project causes a flow, you will get that flaw as soon as you open lmms
Retry projects\demos\Greippi - Krem Kaakkuja (SecondFlight Remix).mmpz

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome davidair !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
Thank you for your response!

- I have tried opening \Greippi - Krem Kaakkuja (SecondFlight Remix).mmpz - the CPU UI is fully in the red.
- Even an empty project still has CPU mostly in the red.
- I tried fully shutting down my machine (power off) - didn't fix the problem.
- How do I clear the cache? Note - the machine is a desktop, not a laptop
- I am not configured to automatically load the last project

Image of the CPU bar:
https://imgur.com/a/eWbNInl

One interesting thing is that when I started LMMS earlier today, the CPU was green (less than half-way through) but it went back to being bad, even after a cold boot.
davidair wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:59 am
Thank you for your response!

- I have tried opening \Greippi - Krem Kaakkuja (SecondFlight Remix).mmpz - the CPU UI is fully in the red.
- Even an empty project still has CPU mostly in the red.
- I tried fully shutting down my machine (power off) - didn't fix the problem.
- How do I clear the cache? Note - the machine is a desktop, not a laptop
- I am not configured to automatically load the last project

Image of the CPU bar:

One interesting thing is that when I started LMMS earlier today, the CPU was green (less than half-way through) but it went back to being bad, even after a cold boot.
:?.......
I rarely suggests it, but in this strange case i think you should de-install, and then reinstall, and in default folders, unless that is absolute against how you like to use your pc.
Here is a guide for un/re-install
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=In ... w_versions
Especially getting rid of the configuration file is important.
Get 1.2.2 Here: https://lmms.io/download#windows
Let us know..
- I have uninstalled LMMS and deleted the user home directory under %USERPROFILE%\Documents\LMMS
- I have done a clean installation of LMMS 1.2.2 under the default location (C:\Program Files\LMMS)

Unfortunately, the CPU meter is still staying in the red :(