Lmms default assets path in the file system (Linux OS)

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Some additional remarks.

The normal and safest way to install programs on Linux is through the package manager.

You then download the program ( as a .deb or .rpm file ) and the program gets installed automaticity.
Clicking twice accept is all it takes.

The package builders of the distro have compiled the program for us the users.

With most programs this is not an issue, but with LMMS and Carla there are (were) allot of problems.

Mostly caused by the package builders not really knowing LMMS nor Carla.

Both needing wine to use windows vst, is one example that went wrong with about every distro around.
LMMS got compiled with out wine.

This is all solved by the appimage file. :)
/usr/share/lmms

On Linux Mint.

Maybe a Wiki entry should exist for this since it's so hard to find?
Hi again,

sorry, but I didn't managed to find lmms' default assets (Calf Reverb LADSPA for example) yet.
musikbear wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:35 pm
ela wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:33 pm
$home/lmms -I actually checked that, but I couldn't find anything inside that path's assets subfolders (samples, presets etc...).
Nevertheless, I can actually use the default assets when composing with LMMS...
First off, Welcome to the Forum ela!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

It is $home/lmms, and you should be able to find de factory-files there, but they are infact transparent for the user. All is available as factory-files, and are listed in the various sidebar-browsers, over you own files. This makes it easy to make backups of the things you have made yourself, without bothering with the defaults.
P.S. Could it be that I'm using lmms in its AppImage
No, only the AppImage is recommended and supported
@musikbear I tried to go in my $home$/lmms directory and checked the Show Hidden Files options, but still no luck. I maybe misunderstood your explanation?

Anyone has an idea on how to do find them?
ela wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:30 pm
I tried to go in my $home$/lmms directory and checked the Show Hidden Files options, but still no luck.
That is strange, but open CLI and do a search for one of the files inside the default-assets folder.
That would be

Code: Select all

grep -Ril "<string you want to search for>"
So if you searched for one of the files in our default assets f.i. butterworth-filters.
butterworth-filters are contained in the file butterworth_1902.dll
So to find that file in your linux-installation you would write:

Code: Select all

grep -Ril "butterworth_1902.dll"
The path would be where all default assets for LADSPA, C* and butterworth are installed
Gps wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 pm
AppImage doesn’t do it. In fact, AppImage doesn’t really install the software. It is a compressed image with all the dependencies and libraries needed to run the desired software.

You execute the AppImage file, you run the software. There is no extraction, no installation.
per this, LMMS's data will not be in a directory anywhere on the system as if it were installed normally. The files and assets are all inside the appimage, as it is a compressed archive.
I recently downloaded the lmms-1.3.0-alpha AppImage.
Let's suppose your AppImage has executing rights and is called lmms_exe

I found out that:

1. The default config file is created in ~/.lmmsrc.xml once you run the AppImage the first time
2. You can start with a custom config file with the -c option so you would execute it like this:

lmms_exe -c <your config file>

3. The default config file has a line that defines the themes path as "data:/themes/default/"

4. That path is created EACH time you run the AppImage in a temp dir.
In my case (I use Mint 19.3) it is created in

/tmp/.mount_lmms-<some_sufix>/

5. The full themes path in my Mint 19.3 system is by default:

/tmp/.mount_lmms-<some_sufix>/usr/share/lmms/themes/default

Then I:
1. copied the themes/default subdirectory to a local dir.
2. Edited the style.css file in it.
3. copied the default config file.
4. Edited the copy of the config file to make the themes path point to my local themes dir.
5. started the AppImage with my new config file.

It worked for most font sizes, not all. They are now 16px.
At least I can read the menu options and the fonts in the popmenus. I still have to play with the css file to see if all fonts can be customized.
Like the previous poster mentioned, when you launch the LMMS AppImage it creates a filesystem in "/tmp/.mount_lmms-<some_sufix>/" containing all of the LMMS binaries, assets, libraries, dependencies and all other miscellaneous files. You can also manually extract it by running the AppImage in the terminal with the --appimage-extract flag.