Lmms default assets path in the file system (Linux OS)

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi,

I know this may be a dumb question, but I couldn't manage to find nothing about...

I was wondering where lmms default assets are located in the file system, since in the

Code: Select all

lmmsHomeFolder/assetsSubDirectories (preset, samples etc...)
path I couldn't find anything.

Someone can help me?
Hello

Isnt it $home/lmms ?
Sahaathyva wrote: Hello

Isnt it $home/lmms ?
I actually checked that, but I couldn't find anything inside that path's assets subfolders (samples, presets etc...).
Nevertheless, I can actually use the default assets when composing with LMMS...

P.S. Could it be that I'm using lmms in its AppImage form (lmms-1.2.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage file) and the assets are somehow placed inside the AppImage file?
ela wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:33 pm
$home/lmms -I actually checked that, but I couldn't find anything inside that path's assets subfolders (samples, presets etc...).
First off, Welcome to the Forum ela!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

It is $home/lmms, and you should be able to find de factory-files there, but they are infact transparent for the user. All is available as factory-files, and are listed in the various sidebar-browsers, over you own files. This makes it easy to make backups of the things you have made yourself, without bothering with the defaults.
P.S. Could it be that I'm using lmms in its AppImage
No, only the AppImage is recommended and supported
musikbear wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:35 pm
ela wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:33 pm
$home/lmms -I actually checked that, but I couldn't find anything inside that path's assets subfolders (samples, presets etc...).
First off, Welcome to the Forum ela!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

It is $home/lmms, and you should be able to find de factory-files there, but they are infact transparent for the user. All is available as factory-files, and are listed in the various sidebar-browsers, over you own files. This makes it easy to make backups of the things you have made yourself, without bothering with the defaults.
P.S. Could it be that I'm using lmms in its AppImage
No, only the AppImage is recommended and supported
Hi musikbear and thank you for the reply!

Is there a way to view the files in the file system anyway?
I was looking for them last night but could not find them.
Gps wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:10 am
I was looking for them last night but could not find them.
wooo wait
are you saying that in linux you cant see the default LADSPA or f.i. the folder with default artwork?!?
What happens if you search for f.i. : "en.qm" (the english language file in folder locale)
Cant you see that file in linux?!
all is in //LMMS| data
I probably did not use the search function right.

I tried on the desk top to search for Calf and *Calf*. After 30 min I cancelled those search.

Linux being case sensitive is not helping. CALF , Calf and calf are not the same for Linux.
This caused some issues with Steam coming to Linux too.

I vaguely remember from earlier situation, that some folders are empty.

But the needed libs are in probably in something like /usr or /usr 64.

Me not knowing the exact names is the biggest problem.

After I hit the summit button, will try again. Open LMMS find the exact name, and search for that.
Gps wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:19 pm
Linux being case sensitive is not helping. CALF , Calf and calf are not the same for Linux.
Oh.. :!
"en.qm" is the exact name.
I did some google on Appimage:

How I can open it and so on, but the interesting part related to this topic, in bold and underlined:

https://itsfoss.com/use-appimage-linux/
For years, we have DEB packages for Debian/Ubuntu based Linux distributions and RPM for Fedora/SUSE based Linux distributions.

While these packages provide a convenient way of installing software to their respective distribution users, it is not the most convenient for the application developer. The developers have to create multiple packages for multiple distributions. This is where AppImage comes into picture.

AppImage is a universal software package format. By packaging the software in AppImage, the developer provides just one file ‘to rule them all’. End user, i.e. you, can use it in most (if not all) modern Linux distributions
AppImage doesn’t install software in the traditional way

A typical Linux software will create files at various places, requiring root permission to make these changes to the system.

AppImage doesn’t do it. In fact, AppImage doesn’t really install the software. It is a compressed image with all the dependencies and libraries needed to run the desired software.

You execute the AppImage file, you run the software. There is no extraction, no installation.
You delete the AppImage file, the software is removed (we’ll see about it later). You can compare it to .exe files in Windows that allow you to run the software without actually going through the installation procedure.