JACK and MIDI output

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello all,

I am very new to JACK and fairly new to LMMS, so there are some things I haven't figured out yet. I've spent a few hours trying to get my Edirol FA-101 connected over FireWire to work with MIDI.

I have a synth and a keyboard connected to the MIDI ports of the Edirol. MIDI input works without a problem, but I'm having problems with MIDI output.

When I start LMMS, I only get a MIDI in port in qjackctl, as per the screenshot below (connection missing, just for illustration):

But when I start Ardour, I get both an input and an output port:

I'm guessing I should get an output port for LMMS and route that to firewire_pcm. There aren't really any settings to speak of in the settings dialog for MIDI (edit: At least for JACK), maybe I've missed something.

I am running version 1.2.0 on Gentoo 17.0, JACK2 version 1.9.12.

Thankful for any help or pointers!
average_snail wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:29 am
Hello all,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum average_snail !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
I'm having problems with MIDI output.
Afaik MIDI-signals to peripheral hardware is not supported (yet). LMMS can receive pressed MIDI-notes from a MIDI-kb, and play the note pressed on the MIDI-kb, with the instrument, that has been connected to MIDI, but only that.
LMMS also do not support launch-pads (yet..)
If MIDI out does not work at all, that would explain it. Though I've seen people here and there saying they have done MIDI out, for example here, so I thought it might be an issue specifically with MIDI through JACK.

What is a launch-pad in this context?
Took my time and had a peek in the source code. It looked like there were code there for MIDI output through JACK, but suddenly a wild comment appeared:

Code: Select all

jack midi out not implemented
So that sucks. I guess I'll have to get a USB MIDI interface or try and kludge something together,

Thanks anyway!