MIDI key board not seen by LMMS on LINUX MINT 19.2

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Do you use jack or alsa as audio backend?
Thank you for the welcome!
Nice to find a community that cares and helps because sometimes linux can be a little frustrating to operate.
Yes this looks dismo -You obviously has done all the correct things -i assume that you also have connected and turned on power in the correct sequence(?)
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Using_MIDI

It looks bad. It may be that LMMS cant use your KB
Yes, I've read about the correct sequence of connecting the midi gear and done it.
Do you use jack or alsa as audio backend?
Tried both and can say that jack is a pain in the arse. Most of the times my LMMS crashes because of jack.
And also I actually never tried to configure it..

But yesterday after hours of searching and configuring I resolved the problem!
So, I deleted my LMMS, downloaded a fresh .AppImage, turned jack off, connected my Alesis mini and opened LMMS. I've put the audio interface to ALSA and MIDI to ALSA-sequencer. It miraculously worked.
And it works, but only on those settings and sometimes when I open my Vst plug-ins or ZynAdd synth and set the MIDI to my Alesis, the audio interface goes bonkers. It starts to give distorted sound to my audio out.. didn't figure that one yet.

Thanks guys for the replies!
Grof wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:59 am
But yesterday after hours of searching and configuring I resolved the problem!
So, I deleted my LMMS, downloaded a fresh .AppImage, turned jack off, connected my Alesis mini and opened LMMS. I've put the audio interface to ALSA and MIDI to ALSA-sequencer. It miraculously worked.
And it works, but only on those settings and sometimes when I open my Vst plug-ins or ZynAdd synth and set the MIDI to my Alesis, the audio interface goes bonkers. It starts to give distorted sound to my audio out.. didn't figure that one yet.
Great news! I make a note of this, because someone else are bound to get this issue- Thanks for reporting back!

I cant say where the distortion comes from, except that ZynAdd also is a VST, but embedded in LMMS. It could be a WINE issue... (?)
-make a snapshot to fall back on!, and then Perhaps experiment with WINE-staged.. idk...
Good you managed to get the midi if I asked you the jack question it is because if you use jack then yoi need to launch a2j ;)

I dont think jack is a vst as it works at home and I dont habe wine on my laptop...maybe a setting thing?
You're right jack is not an VST, Jack is like alsa a sound part of Linux.
Were it gets complicated, as far as I understand things, jack still uses alsa.

I never really understood the need for jack, but I think its about a lower latency.

I ones tried it myself, and did not like all the extra clicking I needed to do.

https://jackaudio.org/
Have you ever wanted to take the audio output of one piece of software and send it to another? How about taking the output of that same program and send it to two others, then record the result in the first program? Or maybe you’re a programmer who writes real-time audio and music applications and who is looking for a cross-platform API that enables not only device sharing but also inter-application audio routing, and is incredibly easy to learn and use? If so, JACK may be what you’ve been looking for.
Sorry I meant zasfx !
Sahaathyva wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:38 pm
Sorry I meant zasfx !
zasfx is a VST. It has been embedded into LMMS, but is in essence a VST, and generate output in the same way as VST.
a vst? I use it on ardour as a LV2 for ex, does lmms embed liux-vst version of zasfx ?

By the way it runs cool with the lmms appimage without wine installed on my computer ;)

@musikbear, I had never I think so I must sayt at least once, thanks for your great invesstment into Lmms, Lmms forums
and your patience afterall :!:
Sahaathyva wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:28 pm
@musikbear
Thank you.

I can by the way till you that you can download zasfx as VST on zasfx' gitHub webpage, BUT! Even though that zasfx is a genuine VST, there are no options for automation!
I made a video on how to use the VST version of zasfx some time back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrrl3OiiJvM
Thanks for all your help guys!
I've got another idea since Linux is a little tricky to configure perfectly.
when I catch the time (since I work long hours because of this corona crisis) I'll try to use my external sound card (it is a Behringer digital usb mixer) to see if it still rocks the distortion and report here.

To tell you the truth I've been trying to configure this thing to work perfectly because I've bought the Genesis Pro VsT synth by Ummet Ozcan and it is a beauty, and it works with Linux! :D

CHeers!