MIDI key board not seen by LMMS on LINUX MINT 19.2

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi I'm trying to connect an Impact GX-49 keyboard to LMMS version 1.2
My Mint version 19.2 seems to see the keyboard, as I can see:

Code: Select all

dave@dave-MS-7A34:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xf7080000 irq 51
 1 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
                      HD-Audio Generic at 0xf7800000 irq 53
 2 [GX49           ]: USB-Audio - Impact GX49
                      Nektar Impact GX49 at usb-0000:03:00.0-7, full speed
And:

dave@dave-MS-7A34:~$ aconnect -i
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 24: 'Impact GX49' [type=kernel,card=2]
    0 'Impact GX49 MIDI 1'
    1 'Impact GX49 MIDI 2'
dave@dave-MS-7A34:~$ 
Here's my lmms log:

dave@dave-MS-7A34:~/Downloads$ ./lmms-1.2.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage 
Carla does not appear to be installed.  That's OK, please ignore any related library errors.
Jack appears to be installed on this system, so we'll use it.
Notice: could not set realtime priority.
Cannot load library /tmp/.mount_lmms-1grx9gW/usr/lib/lmms/libcarlarack.so: (libcarla_native-plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
Cannot load library /tmp/.mount_lmms-1grx9gW/usr/lib/lmms/libcarlapatchbay.so: (libcarla_native-plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
Cannot load library /tmp/.mount_lmms-1grx9gW/usr/lib/lmms/libcarlabase.so: (libcarla_native-plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib rawmidi.c:286:(snd_rawmidi_open_noupdate) Unknown RawMidi Impact GX49
cannot open MIDI-device: No such file or directory
Couldn't create MIDI-client, neither with ALSA nor with OSS. Will use dummy-MIDI-client.
My lmms install works perfectly otherwise, playing all the sample and demos nicely.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Dave B
DaveBlizzard wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:13 pm
Hi
Hi, Welcome to the Forum DaveBlizzard !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
connect an Impact GX-49 keyboard to LMMS version 1.2 on linux Mint version 19.2
Its the first time a heard about MIDI kb from 'Impact', but hopefully thats not going to be a problem.
Connecting MIDI is somewhat 'temperament-loaded' procedure .. -Even the order of connecting cables matter.
Follow this guide : https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Us ... started.3F
Let us know the outcome :)
Thanks for responding...
Here's the rub. I've read the Guide and the icon referred to is not present in my lmms. (The little keyboard with an arrow)
This is not my Triple Oscillator:
I would show you a screen shot, but this forum tool does not allow pasting...My triple O does not have the icon beside the channel input field...and that's where I am stuck. I'm using lmms v 1.2, but 1.1 seems the same.

dave B
DaveBlizzard wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:09 pm
...My triple O does not have the icon beside the channel input field...and that's where I am stuck. I'm using lmms v 1.2, but 1.1 seems the same.
Hmm..
When you say
using lmms v 1.2
Do you mean one you compiled from sourse, OR the correct one: The AppImage from official DL-pages?
If you dont use the AppImage, you should!
As i said, im not a Linux guy ..More Image..
I added the Linux tag and i hope Zonk or Gps notice that
Now i of cause just hope you havent installed the AppImage yet, and that your problem will be gone when you do :)
Btw - We just have released 1.2.1, but thats also the AppImage thats available :
https://lmms.io/download/#linux
Hi,
I'm using the appimage.
When I attempt to plugin the kbd name into the midi settings screen. It still doesn't work. So I have no way to choose from a list of kbds as described in your linked article...
I just tried version 1.2.1 and it is the same.
Are there any up-to-date articles on how to connect a MIDI device???

This is the log I get when I add the kbd name in the settings for the device name.

dave@dave-MS-7A34:~/Downloads$ ./lmms-1.2.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage 
Carla does not appear to be installed.  That's OK, please ignore any related library errors.
Jack appears to be installed on this system, so we'll use it.
Notice: could not set realtime priority.
Cannot load library /tmp/.mount_lmms-1IzB4CN/usr/lib/lmms/libcarlapatchbay.so: (libcarla_native-plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
Cannot load library /tmp/.mount_lmms-1IzB4CN/usr/lib/lmms/libcarlabase.so: (libcarla_native-plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
Cannot load library /tmp/.mount_lmms-1IzB4CN/usr/lib/lmms/libcarlarack.so: (libcarla_native-plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[b]ALSA lib rawmidi.c:286:(snd_rawmidi_open_noupdate) Unknown RawMidi GX49
cannot open MIDI-device: No such file or directory
Couldn't create MIDI-client, neither with ALSA nor with OSS. Will use dummy-MIDI-client.[/b]
Dave B
DaveBlizzard wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:37 pm
I'm using the appimage.
When I attempt to plugin the kbd name into the midi settings screen. It still doesn't work. So I have no way to choose from a list of kbds as described in your linked article...
I just tried version 1.2.1 and it is the same.
Are there any up-to-date articles on how to connect a MIDI device???
Your LMMS is ok, the article is not old/ deprecated, and from the list of successfully connected MIDI-HW, you can see, that many users have connected MIDI-kb successfully
What about the cable?
Do you have any way to test the cable?
You could try to take it to a dealer, and ask him if he can connect a KB, but real shops for electronics are scares -Than you web :(
The most dismo scenario is that your MIDI-kb just dont work in LMMS, i hope not, but its leaning in that direction, because you have done everything you should, in order to connect successfully. I hope its the cable...
Well,
It's definitely not the cable. I just installed lmms on my Win 10 machine and it works just fine. Sadly this is a linux problem.
Is there anywhere a list of acceptable keyboards for the linux version of lmms???
DaveBlizzard wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:02 pm
It's definitely not the cable. I just installed lmms on my Win 10 machine and it works just fine.
Good to know! So if i read this correct, you have the keyboard up and working fine in win10?
Sadly this is a linux problem.
Ya.. it leans that way
Is there anywhere a list of acceptable keyboards for the linux version of lmms???
Some. I can only add keyboards, when i get reports, but if you read the list, many have been tested in both win and linux
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Us ... _keyboards
AKAI, Behringer Casio, Korg -amo.

Maybe i should color code the list..

But! Then Once again : the distro issue..
F.i.
AKAI MPK mini Play On 76 i7 Lemur with Ubuntu Studio 18.10
Eg this KB has only been successfully connected to Ubuntu Studio and on top of that only ver. 18.10
That does not mean that it works on Kubuntu or Mint
Its a real mess :(
Hi guys!

I've got a problem on my Linux Mint 19.3 using the midi controller with my LMMS 1.2.1 .AppImage.
Read so far every topic about this problem, old and new, and still no solution.
I've tried every configuration I could master but the LMMS is not showing my midi keyboard, whereas the system is recognizing it.

grof@Raizaan:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xe4624000 irq 28
 1 [VMini          ]: USB-Audio - VMini
                      Alesis VMini at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full speed
In LMMS in the midi tab in the sound editor I'm missing the keyboard icon so I cannot select my Alesis Vmini.
Also, QjackCtl is recognizing it.

Please if you have some solution to this problem I'd be grateful since this is impacting my workflow.

Cheers!
Grof wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 am
Hi guys!
Hi, Welcome to the Forum Grof !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
Read so far every topic about this problem, old and new, and still no solution.
In LMMS in the midi tab in the sound editor I'm missing the keyboard icon so I cannot select my Alesis Vmini. -Also, QjackCtl is recognizing it.
Yes this looks dismo -You obviously has done all the correct things -i assume that you also have connected and turned on power in the correct sequence(?)
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Using_MIDI

It looks bad. It may be that LMMS cant use your KB