DebianTesting:Freez/crash, 1.2 Appimage. Xorg related?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I've been trying to figure this one out and I see some similarities to this thread, but it isn't quite the same: https://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7 ... ash#p64302.
I'm not on Ubuntu or Mint, but rather Debian Testing which they're both derivatives of.
Long story short: I've been working on a project for about a week now that has 3 VST plugins: JM-1 Linndrum replica, ZASFX, and SQ8L. About halfway through the project, it started to become very unstable and freeze/crash LMMS with CPU pegged to 100% for that process.
I think it might be somehow related to the drawing curves in Xorg because things were pretty solid until I starting adding automation tracks and drawing out volume changes in the editor, but the real kicker came as the song grew and I had to start moving and copying/pasting these tracks and has since started happening when editing/moving the other tracks as well. I always know when the issue is about to occur because while copying/pasting a piano roll, the timestamp popup will suddenly stop and nothing except the main toolbar will respond; if I'm quick enough, I can squeeze in another save before full lockup. This does not kick me all the way back to a login screen as on Ubuntu or Mint, but it does render LMMS completely unresponsive. I then have to manually force-close LMMS, and the VST plugins appear in the taskbar as WINE processes that won't close without a logout/login of my desktop environment (KDE Plasma). I think it may be related to a memory issue because subsequent crashes occur more often throughout the session until I'm ultimately forced to restart. Another odd behavior is that when I started the project, loading it also brought up the consoles of the VSTs; came up in the background workspace along with the song editor, FX Mixer, etc. but now they don't.
I'd appreciate any help figuring this out, it can be real disruptive if I'm in a flow when it happens. Also, does anyone who's working in Linux know if the Xorg patch mentioned in the link is available outside of the normal update channels to be applied manually? I should have it in Testing at this point, but want to double-check and make sure by manually installing.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:41 am
while copying/pasting a piano roll, the timestamp popup will suddenly stop and nothing except the main toolbar will respond

Firstly, if it indeed is related to Xorg and #2100/ https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/2701 then its something your distro management should be made aware off, and it would also be something we cant do anything with in LMMS
The only thing i can do is to examine the project. At least that would confirm that it can run in windows. That would be of value to you (and us) because that would point the finger towards the distro.
But..
LMMS does of yet not have a project export feature. All the dependencies would have to be included tin the file, and that is cumbersome and also errorprone, when done manually. So a windows-test would depend on getting everything exactly right. Most likely not possible with a manual process
Also, does anyone who's working in Linux know if the Xorg patch mentioned in the link is available outside of the normal update channels to be applied manually? I should have it in Testing at this point, but want to double-check and make sure by manually installing.
You are referring to the patch that Zonk mention in #2701 -Right?
That patch is for a different distro, but if you contact your distro, i would definitively link to that patch, so they have that as a template

Once again i see this as the situational weakness of Linux: absurd many distros with ego-oddities, that just add to the confusion in general. Im lost on this one -sorry
musikbear wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:49 pm

Once again i see this as the situational weakness of Linux: absurd many distros with ego-oddities, that just add to the confusion in general. Im lost on this one -sorry
Let me as a Linux fan react to this.

I agree for some part, but there are some rules / agreement on were to put stuff.
Not all Distro's follow these rules though.

From using steam on Linux, sometimes had issues fixed on suse with "ubuntu" solutions.
And also arch solutions.

The official suse webpage states, that if you can't find a certain program for suse, but can find it for fedora, you can try it.

Its an grey area, and a disadvantage for program builders who just want to support Linux.

Its also why making a virus that works on every linux distro, is hard.......
So there are advantages too of the free choice.

Free software, free as in free to modify. Not necessary free in price.
If you as a company want support, Linux is not free. :)
musikbear wrote:
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:41 am
while copying/pasting a piano roll, the timestamp popup will suddenly stop and nothing except the main toolbar will respond

Firstly, if it indeed is related to Xorg and #2100/ https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/2701 then its something your distro management should be made aware off, and it would also be something we cant do anything with in LMMS
The only thing i can do is to examine the project. At least that would confirm that it can run in windows. That would be of value to you (and us) because that would point the finger towards the distro.

That patch is for a different distro, but if you contact your distro, i would definitively link to that patch, so they have that as a template.
I think can say for sure that it is something related to Debian specifically, which would also jive with Ubuntu and Mint users having this problem though maybe not as recently since they're Debian-derived (Debian Testing specifically in the case of Ubuntu). I'm out of town visiting family member this weekend who is collborating with me on this and some other projects, so copied the LMMS file with the AppImage, plugins, and projects from my desktop with Debian to an older laptop I have with PCLinuxOS as the OS (a Mandriva derivative). Despite being a little slower and not having as much memory, it hasn't crashed at all.
When I get home next week, I'll report that bug upstream through their reporting system.
EDIT: Well, I need to take that back. The new track on the laptop just glitched and wouldn't let me copy/paste. This always seems to be where the problems start for me...
Gps wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:59 pm
musikbear wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:49 pm

Let me as a Linux fan react to this.

I agree for some part, but there are some rules / agreement on were to put stuff.
Not all Distro's follow these rules though.

From using steam on Linux, sometimes had issues fixed on suse with "ubuntu" solutions.
And also arch solutions.

The official suse webpage states, that if you can't find a certain program for suse, but can find it for fedora, you can try it.

Its an grey area, and a disadvantage for program builders who just want to support Linux.

Its also why making a virus that works on every linux distro, is hard.......
So there are advantages too of the free choice.

Free software, free as in free to modify. Not necessary free in price.
If you as a company want support, Linux is not free. :)
I love the fact that if one distro doesn't do something the way I like it, I can install a different desktop environment, I can install a different package manager, or I can try a different distro altogether... It seems to me it's better than having to take whatever Microsoft or Apple choose to deliver.