Komplete Kontrol VST cropped

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello everyone.

Thank you in advance for welcoming me into your forum. I come to you with a small problem that makes my life a living hell.

When I load my Komplete Kontrol VST into LMMS, and I then open any instrument, the UI will not resize itself. And so, I don't have access to part of the UI, which makes it hard or impossible to tweak certain settings. It is infuriating.

Resizing the LMMS window just gives me more grey space.

I have found a few topics already on the subject, but they all suggest to update LMMS, and I have already done that.

(I have version 1.2.1, just updated it after uninstalling previous version, including config file, where this problem also happened),

I'm running a windows 7 OS;

A few screenshot : https://imgur.com/a/GEYQMOr

Can someone please help?
CokhoR
CokhoR wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:22 pm
Hello everyone.
Hi, Welcome to the Forum CokhoR !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
Komplete Kontrol VST UI will not resize
version 1.2.1,
uninstall config file
windows 7 OS;
no access to part of the UI
Ok. First you should test if this VST can pass the 5-point-test, if it does not, there is no reason to fiddle with it.
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Wo ... t_VST_test
IF it pass, then what you are left with, is a somewhat ignorable graphic glitch, because You do not need to use the VST-UI -you can access all the controls through the LMMS-UI!
Click on the wrench-button!
That will open a controller-array with one button for each of the VSTs own controllers.
Its the best i can offer you, since you have done all to rid yourself of installation-faults. I will take a closer look at the VST, but in all essence you have the same options with the LMMS-UI as you have with the GUI..
But how about that 5-pointer Does this VST pass?
Thank you for your reply !

I checked the five point, and the only one who gave me a bit of trouble is n°3 :
UI & Automation: Does the VST-knobs connect to LMMS' knobs?
Komplete kontrol is kind of an "hub" for different instruments, effect and samples. If I load it for the first time in a project, and I look at LMMS knobs, I find them and they are responsive, and correctly named.

Again, a few screenshot can speak a thousand words:

Here I have just loaded a first instrument, you can see the knobs are labeled correctly.

I launched a second instrument, replacing the first one. The label on the knobs haven't changed, and I've color coded what knobs changes what; but it is impossible to guess (or I can't find the resoning)

And lastly, relaunched the plugin, and now the label are correct with the instrument

I think that answer my question though. It is not an LMMS problem, more the VST that is not compatible. But as you said, it is not impossible to work with this, just a bit harder :-) !
Thank you!
@CokhoR I believe it's this issue: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/4087
Thank you for the link.
I believe you are right, it is the same issue. From following through, I found this explanation :
DomClark: b9a8186 will fix window resizing when a plugin is not embedded, but won't work for embedded plugins (things like #4087, #4461 [Those being the issues similar to the one I described - CokhoR] ); the machinery required to fix this is outside the scope of 1.2 I believe.
And a bit farther :
DomClark: Updating the size of an embedded plugin requires sending a message from the remote plugin back to the host LMMS instance. LMMS isn't currently well equipped to receive messages back from plugins - messages are only processed when the plugin is first started, or when waiting for reply messages. In the current state, the window resize message would most likely be picked up on the processing thread while waiting for processing to complete, which isn't desirable. Even then it would only be received if processing were being done, so if, say, a VST effect didn't have any input at the time and the "process effects without input" setting were turned off, the GUI might not resize itself until audio input came again, which is also obviously undesirable.
Periodically processing messages on the main thread is insufficient as a fix as it doesn't stop messages from being picked up elsewhere where they aren't wanted. One could periodically poll for size changes, sending an 'update me' message and waiting for a reply with a new size, but this would unnecessarily lock the plugin, potentially reducing performance and introducing another spot from which deadlock could arise.
The ideal solution here would be to redo the messaging system so that LMMS is always listening for messages from the remote plugin and dispatching them to the appropriate places. This way any window size updates could be applied as soon as possible, on the main thread, and without holding up processing of anything else. Other advantages here would be that multiple messages that require replies can be waited on in parallel - currently these lock the plugin from sending the initial message until the reply is received, otherwise two of these running at once could eat each other's reply messages and cause deadlock - meaning less delay on the processing thread. There wouldn't be any more problems with the main thread processing events, triggering a slot and trying to lock the plugin mutex twice as it wouldn't need to hold the mutex while processing events.
Such an implementation I think would take a while to write and perfect, and in the short term may cause more trouble than it's worth.
(emphasizes mine)

in another thread, the same user mentions working on a fix, but I don't know if it has been implemented yet.

I'm trying to be as thourough as I can with what I find, mostly because I hard a really hard time to find info on what I thought was a common problem users had when beginning with LMMS. So I hope that at least some people will find this thread and can feel less alone!
CokhoR wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:10 pm
Komplete kontrol is kind of an "hub" for different instruments,
Ahhhhhhh as in Kontakt!
Yes that is not working .. I could be wrong but i believe someone have had it running in Carla, but im not sure. For the moment i think its a no-go
Too many oddness's so and so..
CokhoR wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:17 am
in another thread, the same user mentions working on a fix, but I don't know if it has been implemented yet.
No, but that is the same developer who fixed most of the VST issues for lmms-1.2 so it will probably be fixed for lmms-1.3 . We now do test releases automatically for suggested code fixes so if you join github you can subscribe to https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/4087 to be notified when a version with a proposed fix is available.