Odd Vestige behavior.

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
First of all, thank you to everyone who has been working so hard on LMMS.

Here are my system specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, version 1903, OS build 18362,476
LMMS version 2.2.1 and 2.2.0

A few months ago I subscribed to Composer Cloud, which gives me access to the Eastwest library of samples through their Play engine. For the most part it works in Vestige minus some of the interface not responding (Play works fully outside of LMMS) but that hasn't been a major issue, and isn't why I am here now.

I'm currently working on the largest project I've done to date and now counting one automation track, I have 16 Vestige tracks, all linked to Play. However, when I attempted to add a 17th track, Vestige just sits there saying it is loading the VST in the bottom left corner. Whereas this step usually takes a second or two at most, this time it sits for several minutes before I decide to close LMMS. In the task manager LMMS is listed as working.

At first I thought the issues might be the choir track, as I have had a lot of issues with Eastwest's Hollywood Choirs, and it can be a huge RAM hog... So I created an instance of my project that did not include that track and I was able to load in the VST I needed. This put me back at 16 tracks. However, I later went to add another and got the same issue. In the past I am sure I have had more than 16 tracks, but they were usually using zynaddsubfx. Of course, the track amount may be entirely unrelated.

This is the first time I have loaded entirely Eastwest VSTs. Perhaps it is a limitation of the Play engine, but I haven't been able to find much information on that. I still have plenty of RAM available when trying to load in the VST, so I don't think that is the issue. I am wondering if anyone else here has had similar issues? Most of my searches have come up with issues regarding error messages and crashes and are from much older versions of LMMS. It is a soft freeze as LMMS still seems responsive, it just won't bring in the track.

Thank you!
Blocky wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:38 am
Perhaps it is a limitation of the Play engine,
Afaik No.
I still have plenty of RAM available when trying to load in the VST, so I don't think that is the issue.
Correct you have more than enough HW power

I am wondering if anyone else here has had similar issues?
Never heard of this before
But there is one thing
LMMS version 2.2.1 and 2.2.0
-its 1.2. 0 / 1 -but nwm that :)
Much more alarming is that you have BOTH 1.2.0 AND 1.2.1 installed!
You are not supposed to
My recommendations is to :
!!backup!!
Then
Un-install BOTH 1.2.0 & 1.2.1 -You will most likely get a lot of 'not found' and other popups when you do 2. uninstall.. maby idk..
After everything is removed, install 1.2.1, and only that!
Then see if your project behave different. Not sire it will, but at least one disturbance is removed
Let us know the outcome :)
Thanks for the reply, yeah sorry the LMMS version was a typo. Let me clarify. I was using 1.2.0 when I first encountered the issue, and then I upgraded to 1.2.1 but still had the issue. Regardless, I did as you said and wiped the install and installed 1.2.1 from scratch, but the issue persisted.

I attempted to narrow things down by creating a new project and then creating a bunch of Vestige tracks linked to Play and I got 16. On the 17th, it refused to load. I then tried another new project and this time created a bunch of Vestige tracks linked to a different plugin, this time Spitfire Labs, and I got to 16... however the 17th did load, but the loading time increased substantially with the 17th. Whereas before each one took less then a second to bring in. this time it sat for about 3. the 18th track sat for almost 5.

I'm going to attempt the load in a 17th track with Play again and just let it sit for a while, see if after given enough time it actually does load in.

Edit: I left it for an hour and a half and it was still just sitting there loading.
Blocky wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:49 am
I attempted to narrow things down by creating a new project and then creating a bunch of Vestige tracks linked to Play and I got 16. On the 17th, it refused to load.
O d dddd!
See here
25 instances and i could go on. NP at all -If i hit play, i dont even have > 10% CPU usage, and that with ~half of your Rhysen muscle!
I think its the specific VST you are trying to use, that has something conflicting. It could be that there is some code-issues in the Bank-code -But that is total guess-work.
I wonder if you would get a kind of 'clearance' if you load other instruments in between the many VSTs. Try putting in a AFP or 3oc for every 5. VST.
I am able to get more than 16 tracks if I pad it, but still only 16 instances of Play through Vestige, so it does seem to be specific to Play. When I get a chance I'll try to see if I can push it further in FL studio's trial. That should help narrow down if it is the Play engine specifically, or just an unhappy relationship between it and LMMS.