Using ADSR in the soundfont player

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I'm trying to start using LMMS to make music, but one thing keeps stopping me – it's the lack of the ADSR envelope support for the soundfont player.

So, generally I've got a cello instrument in a sf2 file, and I want to make it slowly fade out starting with the moment I release the note. Every thread points to the, obvious to me, solution that is the ENV/LFO tab with the envelope option. However, while it works for sample player, the option is disabled for the soundfont player I'm forced to use.

I was trying to find a LADSPA plugin which could add the effect, but with no success. I've heard of alternative SF2 players, but since I'm a Linux user, they require me to open LMMS with Wine which I would like to avoid.

Is there a way I could get ADSR working for SF2? Is there a way to simulate it at least, maybe through a LADSPA effect? Thanks in advance.
RCS wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:05 am
I'm trying to start using LMMS to make music, but one thing keeps stopping me – it's the lack of the ADSR envelope support for the soundfont player.

So, generally I've got a cello instrument in a sf2 file, and I want to make it slowly fade out starting with the moment I release the note. Every thread points to the, obvious to me, solution that is the ENV/LFO tab with the envelope option. However, while it works for sample player, the option is disabled for the soundfont player I'm forced to use.

I was trying to find a LADSPA plugin which could add the effect, but with no success. I've heard of alternative SF2 players, but since I'm a Linux user, they require me to open LMMS with Wine which I would like to avoid.

Is there a way I could get ADSR working for SF2? Is there a way to simulate it at least, maybe through a LADSPA effect? Thanks in advance.
First off, Welcome to the Forum RCS !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

There are several things in your post that puzzles me, but lets start with the most important:
RCS wrote:
Is there a way I could get ADSR working for SF2?
No -Because there is non!
SF2 does not have any, so thats impossible
But you also write
I'm a Linux user, they require me to open LMMS with Wine which I would like to avoid
Why? WINE works fine in lmms and you get access to 100'ths of VSTs that for ~95% works perfect in lmms
So this:
I'm trying to start using LMMS to make music, but one thing keeps stopping me
I would say that it is not wanting to use wine, that limits you far more, than having a SFont with an abrupt note-release.
I would de-install current lmms, install the correct wine for your distro and then dl the newest appImage of lmms from our site,
https://lmms.io/download/#linux
then you open up a whole new dimension of instruments
RCS wrote:

Suggestion for solution/workaround:

-Add a instance of triple oscillator into the song editor and set all the oscillators to the white noise waveform

-Copy the melodies from your soundfont track into the triple oscillator track

-Add a peak controller to the triple oscillator. Set the "base" knob to 0 and click "mute effect"

-Right click the Vol knob of your soundfont player, click connect to controller, then click user controller and choose controller 1 (or whichever controller the peak controller it is) and press ok. Alternatively you can add an amplifier effect to the soundfont and connect the vol knob of the amplifier to your peak controller instead (if you want to keep the main volume knob of the soundfont automatable).

-You are now controlling the volume of your soundfont using the muted peak volume transient of the triple oscillator. Since the triple oscillator has ADSR you now have ADSR controls to use in triple oscillator for your soundfont.
musikbear wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:50 pm
Why? WINE works fine in lmms and you get access to 100'ths of VSTs that for ~95% works perfect in lmms
So this:
I would say that it is not wanting to use wine, that limits you far more, than having a SFont with an abrupt note-release.
Thank you for your response, but it does not answer my question. I said that I don't use Wine because I prefer LMMS-"native" solutions. Using Wine doesn't make ENV work for SF2 under any circumstances, therefore it's not a solution by itself, right?
Rakso wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:38 pm

Suggestion for solution/workaround:

-Add a instance of triple oscillator into the song editor and set all the oscillators to the white noise waveform

-Copy the melodies from your soundfont track into the triple oscillator track

-Add a peak controller to the triple oscillator. Set the "base" knob to 0 and click "mute effect"

-Right click the Vol knob of your soundfont player, click connect to controller, then click user controller and choose controller 1 (or whichever controller the peak controller it is) and press ok. Alternatively you can add an amplifier effect to the soundfont and connect the vol knob of the amplifier to your peak controller instead (if you want to keep the main volume knob of the soundfont automatable).

-You are now controlling the volume of your soundfont using the muted peak volume transient of the triple oscillator. Since the triple oscillator has ADSR you now have ADSR controls to use in triple oscillator for your soundfont.
This does work, but not exactly in the way I expected, since the ADSR is still applied to the entire track, not to each note by itself. One of the great things about the Release knob is that it normally makes the sound itself longer, it doesn't do that here – but thank you anyway. I really have to end now, so maybe I'll continue this tomorrow.
For now, the feedback delay line seems to work well to get a similar enough effect.