AM and RM

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I'm a little confused. I'm trying a couple of things about AM and RM synthesis ...just trying to figure it out.
My idea is (I'm probably wrong) that AM adds a new frequency resulting from the sum between the first two frequencies. Example: 1st osc freq = 100; 2nd osc freq = 200; new freq= 300.
And the RM adds two news frequencies and delete the original. Example: 1st osc freq = 100 ; 2st osc = 200 ==> freq 1 = 100 and freq 2 = 300.
...just senoidal waves...

OK. If i'm right...why does AM on 3xOsc do RM? and why does RM on zasFX do AM? :lol: :lol: :lol:
muentacovil wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:27 am
I'm a little confused. I'm trying a couple of things about AM and RM synthesis ...just trying to figure it out.
My idea is (I'm probably wrong) that AM adds a new frequency resulting from the sum between the first two frequencies. Example: 1st osc freq = 100; 2nd osc freq = 200; new freq= 300.
And the RM adds two news frequencies and delete the original. Example: 1st osc freq = 100 ; 2st osc = 200 ==> freq 1 = 100 and freq 2 = 300.
...just senoidal waves...

OK. If i'm right...why does AM on 3xOsc do RM? and why does RM on zasFX do AM? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nje AM is more complex
its a waveform that influence the amplitude of an other waveform
that is the theory.
But when you have a complex waveform, and not as in graph, a simple sine, them it creates a special sound
musikbear wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:36 pm
Nje AM is more complex
totally agree. But...that's not the point :lol: :lol: :lol:
I give u another example: the same values and modulation (AM) generate different freqs for 3xOsc and for Watsyn. Why?
The Watsyn's AM adds a new frequency -as AM usually does. But the 3xOsc's AM changes the frequencies on a different way.
muentacovil wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:29 am
same values and modulation (AM) generate different freqs for 3xOsc and for Watsyn. Why?
:? Good question, as any politician would say, when trying to hide, that he has absolutely no clue..
Guess
Different coded instruments -> different modulation outputs
Even a fact (not a good one) that LMMS has inconsistent 'span' of various dials, meaning that in one instrument you may have a '5' as the n. decimal, but in a different instrument the scaling of n. decimal skips the '5'
:?